Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How To Pick Up Wifi From Almost Anywhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Ben Toast

Ben Toast

iHackGeek

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Your Mum
"Wireless enthusiasts have been repurposing satellite dishes for a couple years now. This summer the longest link ever was established over 125 miles using old 12 foot and 10 foot satellite dishes. A dish that big is usually overkill for most people and modern mini-dishes work just as well. The dish helps focus the radio waves onto a directional antenna feed. We're building a biquad antenna feed because it offers very good performance and is pretty forgiving when it comes to assembly errors. Follow along as we assemble the feed, attach it to a DirecTV dish and test out its performance.
Why? With just a handful of cheap parts, a salvaged DirecTV dish and a little soldering, we were able to detect access points from over 8 miles away. Using consumer WiFi gear we picked up over 18 APs in an area with only 1 house per square mile..."

FULL ARTILE (with building instructions)

That, plus a free WiFi hacking tool for gaining access to a secure access point (access point meaning wireless router), and you can pick up wireless Internet access from just about anywhere. If you ask me, I'd say that's pretty freaking incredible. I'm considering building one of these myself.

So, EC. Thoughts? Would you build something like this? Why or why not? Do you know of other methods of picking up WiFi from long distances? Any other cool things you've done with old electronics?

Sylar

Sylar

I'm a Merman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Texas
  • Fav Band ~
  • Fav Song Rabbit Heart
Are you shitting me? Fuck yeah I'd build one, but I don't know anything about building or soldering. I mean, who wouldn't want free wifi? Although, there could be some legal issues.

Sarcastic_Guy

Sarcastic_Guy

Nooch

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band something random
this is basically how 4G technology works, btw.

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts
It may be something I would do, but I do t need Internet that bad. I would like a 100 mile connection though, get some super fast Internet.

Sarcastic_Guy

Sarcastic_Guy

Nooch

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts
  • Country
then you want to live in Korea, where the government just sanctioned a project that would bring 1 GB/s connection to every household in Korea. (No you didn't read that wrong, 1 GB)

Ben Toast

Ben Toast

iHackGeek

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Your Mum
HOLY FREAKING CRAP I WANT A 1GB CONNECTION. I could pirate software like BAM!

I mean..........

<.<

Sarcastic_Guy

Sarcastic_Guy

Nooch

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts
  • Country
and for the rest of you who aren't quite up for soldering and all that crap, you want to pressure your local telecom providers to go WiMax, which is basically the combination of cell phone technology with wifi technology.

At this stage though, the technology is still very young, so each individual tower (called base stations) can only handle maybe 5000 or so simultaneous connections.

With optic cable production prices continuing to drop, it will eventually hit a point where laying down an entire 1 GB/s network will be financially viable. Combine this with the base station models continuing to get better and better, it's only a matter of time before people can start laying down super speed wireless networks en mass.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam
  • Fav Song Pearl Jam - Alive

then you want to live in Korea, where the government just sanctioned a project that would bring 1 GB/s connection to every household in Korea. (No you didn't read that wrong, 1 GB)

Well, Kim Jong-Il requires a fast connection so he can download excessive amounts of gonzo and the entire Backstreet Boys discography you know. Oh wait... the OTHER Korea... yeah.

Sarcastic_Guy

Sarcastic_Guy

Nooch

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts
  • Country
knowing Kim Jong-Il, he probably MAKES his own gonzo

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam
  • Fav Song Pearl Jam - Alive
I thought that short Asian fellow in the jumpsuit looked familiar. Got to love Red Tube.

Dr. Slade

Dr. Slade

Time Lord.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts
north korea is best korea.

also, anyone seee that macgyver episode where he did this?

well, it as a stargate one, but everyone knows targate is actually macgyver in spaaaaaaace

Phrike

Phrike

Exhale.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

That, plus a free WiFi hacking tool for gaining access to a secure access point (access point meaning wireless router), and you can pick up wireless Internet access from just about anywhere. If you ask me, I'd say that's pretty freaking incredible. I'm considering building one of these myself.

Posted Image

Tell me MOAR. Preferably a link to download.

Mr. Hahn

Mr. Hahn

Where's my JD and Coke you fraker!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts
The pings times will be insane no thanks, if my Uni's wireless network was down or I'm in a bad reception room I'll tether my phone an using it's 3G which is practically that dish but a phone in terms of end use. (connecting to the internet anywhere)

stormchaser

stormchaser

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I bought a wifi directional dish and mounted in on top of my Exploder...looks like the fcc is rolling into town when I roll in...looks great and scientific when storm chasing too.

Chlue

Chlue

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
My dog is called wifi

Two Headed Bro

Two Headed Bro

basedyoloswag4lyf

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Lil B 'The Based God'
  • Fav Song Lil B - I'm God

and for the rest of you who aren't quite up for soldering and all that crap, you want to pressure your local telecom providers to go WiMax, which is basically the combination of cell phone technology with wifi technology.

At this stage though, the technology is still very young, so each individual tower (called base stations) can only handle maybe 5000 or so simultaneous connections.

With optic cable production prices continuing to drop, it will eventually hit a point where laying down an entire 1 GB/s network will be financially viable. Combine this with the base station models continuing to get better and better, it's only a matter of time before people can start laying down super speed wireless networks en mass.

Or you could come to Australia. Where we acheive amazing speeds of 100kb/s yes, you heard that right, Lightning fast.

Ben Toast

Ben Toast

iHackGeek

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Your Mum

Posted Image

Tell me MOAR. Preferably a link to download.

There's several out there. However, 99.99999999999% of them only run on Linux. (don't ask why. I guess Linux is just the bomb like that)
If you've got a linux to run it on, I'll find a download for ya. (or just send you one)

The pings times will be insane no thanks, if my Uni's wireless network was down or I'm in a bad reception room I'll tether my phone an using it's 3G which is practically that dish but a phone in terms of end use. (connecting to the internet anywhere)

The ping times aren't too horrible, to be honest. I'm contemplating the possibility of making a giant bi-quad antenna out of 3/8-inch copper cable and putting it inside the roof of my car... I could probably pick up a signal all over town from inside my car that way, which would be quite useful for when I'm out on a trip or something of the sort. However, I'm not sure if there would be enough room to make it fit, or if there would be enough reflection off the car's body to make it very effective.

I bought a wifi directional dish and mounted in on top of my Exploder...looks like the fcc is rolling into town when I roll in...looks great and scientific when storm chasing too.

PICS. NAOW.

My dog is called wifi

Why???

Or you could come to Australia. Where we acheive amazing speeds of 100kb/s yes, you heard that right, Lightning fast.

I'm so sorry. :(

My Music Is My Life

My Music Is My Life

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Rammstein
  • Fav Song Sonne

I WANT A 1GB CONNECTION! :( stupid BT :/

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _
I misread 'wifi' as 'whore' for some reason.

Nigrescent Ass Hole

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,312 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Deftones
...what? Lol, "how to pick up whores from almost anywhere." :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users