Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lgbt Community

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Alesia_17

Alesia_17

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I know there is a good chance that some of you on here belong to the LGBT community. I was looking for a LGBT group to get involved with and noticed that oregon had very few LGBT groups available, and Salem basically has none. In my personal opinion, I feel this is wrong, there should be more offered because we all deserve a safe place to talk and be ourselves. throw me your opinions if you like.

Nereus

Nereus

The Old Man Of The Sea

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
Why don't you start one yourself?

Alesia_17

Alesia_17

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've considered that, just need to do some research on how to get it started and see if people would be interested

Nereus

Nereus

The Old Man Of The Sea

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
You're in high school still, right?

See if you could get the school to endorse a club for you. Not sure how that would work though.

Alesia_17

Alesia_17

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
My school is a small country school so I could try and if it doesnt work i'll just keep on trying

Nigrescent Ass Hole

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,318 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Death Grips
  • Fav Song Hacker

I've considered that, just need to do some research on how to get it started and see if people would be interested

If you need topics to discuss you can find a few My linkhttp://www.emo-corner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50476 there.

There's also this on how to start up a group. http://www.queeratti...sts.php?t=20837

If you need additional information try searching for GSA or gay straight alliances. Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

Rellik San

Rellik San

Adorably Bitter And Angry Cabbit!

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts
LGBT..... Yay... more social segregation.

Surely we should be looking for integration not segregation... or is this just me having weird ideas that who you like to fuck does not matter... ever... at all?

The Archetype

The Archetype

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Balmorhea
I agree. Integration, not segregation, is needed. While LGBT groups are nice to have in a school, they don't serve much of a practical purpose for actually getting more people to be understanding of you. If anything, it's going to give others yet another excuse to look at you as "different" instead of "normal".

Rellik San

Rellik San

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts

I agree. Integration, not segregation, is needed. While LGBT groups are nice to have in a school, they don't serve much of a practical purpose for actually getting more people to be understanding of you. If anything, it's going to give others yet another excuse to look at you as "different" instead of "normal".

Hell I'm fairly sure that DnD geeks are more put upon then LGBT and why particularly LGBT why not GTBL?

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam
  • Fav Song Pearl Jam - Alive
I'm going to have to disagree. They can serve a purpose depending on how they are used and run. If you are someone who has failed to find acceptance or is living in the closet because you fear not gaining acceptance then been able to meet people who you know will not judge and actually embrace you is an excellent thing to have.

That been said; I do agree about the possibility of segregation if you are become over reliant on such services.

Rellik San

Rellik San

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts

I'm going to have to disagree. They can serve a purpose depending on how they are used and run. If you are someone who has failed to find acceptance or is living in the closet because you fear not gaining acceptance then been able to meet people who you know will not judge and actually embrace you is an excellent thing to have.

That been said; I do agree about the possibility of segregation if you are become over reliant on such services.

But the point is this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, you should be able to turn to your friends and not worry about judgement. Society isn't as it was 40 years ago... these days no one cares if you're gay and you're more likely to be met with a shrug and a look of "so what..." if that bothers you, then you're nothing but an attention whore. Those that would bash are in the minority despite the deluded view of most of the BLTG community.

The Archetype

The Archetype

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Balmorhea

Hell I'm fairly sure that DnD geeks are more put upon then LGBT and why particularly LGBT why not GTBL?

Quite possibly, but then again, they have their own little social groups as well.
LGBT is a more commonly used abbreviation. I wasn't trying to bias one over the other.

That is precisely what usually happens with such groups, too. People feel more comfortable around people that are just like themselves. The more alike they are, the more they want to stick around with that person/group. The idea behind the groups - offering a safe place to hang out for those facing exclusion - is a great idea. However, it often becomes more of a crutch than anything else.

Rellik San

Rellik San

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts

Quite possibly, but then again, they have their own little social groups as well.
LGBT is a more commonly used abbreviation. I wasn't trying to bias one over the other.

I don't know when I was at primary school I was deffo the only DnD geek, everyone else was too busy with M:tG.

Aye I know, I'm just having a mad tangent don't worry about it.

O Brave New World

O Brave New World

Republican and Proud.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
I go to a Catholic High School and we tried to make a Gay - Straight Alliance Club. We could make one but we could not have the word "gay" in the club name because the school does not want to promote homosexuality.

Good luck!

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam

But the point is this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, you should be able to turn to your friends and not worry about judgement. Society isn't as it was 40 years ago... these days no one cares if you're gay and you're more likely to be met with a shrug and a look of "so what..." if that bothers you, then you're nothing but an attention whore. Those that would bash are in the minority despite the deluded view of most of the BLTG community.

Maybe it shouldn't be like that but in some cases it is. The thing is that it varies from place-to-place, person-to-person. I had no problems; my family and friends had no issues with it. However much these bashers maybe the minority the point is that they still exist. I've known people who have been shunned by their families because of it so it's not accurate to say that these groups have no point just because most people are more accepting.

The thing is though, we have it pretty easy in England generally. It's easy to forget that not everywhere in the world is as relaxed.

Dr. Slade

Dr. Slade

Time Lord.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts
you don't see a straight pride group do you?

if you gay, i would think you would want want to be treated equal, don't go out of your way to call attention to being different. im not trying too stereotype, but ive known many people who have been like that. normal is a broad term. acting normal dosent mean act straight, just dont get in peoples faces with it. half the reason i used to be prejudiced about homosexuality was because i thought it was all about attention. in certain people, it was true. like the girls that would go bi and then date nothing but guys.

i think homosexuality is fine. its not my choice, and when ive been hit on by guys i dont like it. however, a guy in my senior class was openly gay, and he and i were having a debate in class. this was my point

[b]if my boundaries are respected, your sexuality is accepted[b/]

Alesia_17

Alesia_17

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

LGBT..... Yay... more social segregation.

Surely we should be looking for integration not segregation... or is this just me having weird ideas that who you like to fuck does not matter... ever... at all?

Im not looking to segregate, all I want to do is give people a safe place to talk and be themselves. Any straight person who wants to support is welcomed to join also. I do not want anyone to feel that the group wouldnt be open to them also, this group would be a safe spot for anyone who needed it.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam

you don't see a straight pride group do you?

if you gay, i would think you would want want to be treated equal, don't go out of your way to call attention to being different. im not trying too stereotype, but ive known many people who have been like that. normal is a broad term. acting normal dosent mean act straight, just dont get in peoples faces with it. half the reason i used to be prejudiced about homosexuality was because i thought it was all about attention. in certain people, it was true. like the girls that would go bi and then date nothing but guys.

i think homosexuality is fine. its not my choice, and when ive been hit on by guys i dont like it. however, a guy in my senior class was openly gay, and he and i were having a debate in class. this was my point

[b]if my boundaries are respected, your sexuality is accepted[b/]

The problem here is that in some circumstances these groups are needed. Without having some form of organisation then you have no way to push and try to get equality. The civil rights movement would never have happened for example if there was no organising. Apartheid would never have been overthrown if people just sat there waiting for people to play nice. The same applies to sexuality too.

Although the main fight so to speak has been won in most countries there are problems on an individual basis. What about someone who is thrown out of their home because their family doesn't approve? It happens. Having an organisation who can help them out, let them know they are not alone, give them advice is a very useful thing especially when you know that you are not going to be judged as a deviant.

I do agree that if you are not careful you can segregate yourself. In those circumstances the organisation is not serving a purpose as you pointed out and is doing more harm than good.

This is the reason you don't have straight community clubs for example because they don't serve that much of a purpose. Maybe for dating but there's less hatred towards heterosexuals than there are LGBT so a specific support network is not as important. As for straight pride; there might be some. If there aren't then that's not LGBT peoples responsibility to make one. If you want one then make one yourself :P

Alesia_17

Alesia_17

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank you for all the opinions :) it helped. My goal would be to create a place where issues could be brought up and discussed without the worry of someone bashing or bullying. The group would involve everyone who wants to make a change whether your gay, lesbian, bi, trans, or straight. I do not want to create any kind of extra segregation tho i know that is a possibility. Starting the group at school could prove to be more difficult because my school is a small country school with a great deal of christian influence. I think it would be worth trying tho, because the school has so many bullying issues against the LGBT students that attend it, but there is also a great deal of people who are open to the idea. Eventually I'd love to see the group expand to include diverse problems within the school and outside of it. This is all probably more of a dream than a reality but I'd like to give it a try. Once again thank you for your opinions it helped give me some ideas and better ways to word things so that people understand the group is open to anyone and everyone wanting to make a change.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam

Thank you for all the opinions :) it helped. My goal would be to create a place where issues could be brought up and discussed without the worry of someone bashing or bullying. The group would involve everyone who wants to make a change whether your gay, lesbian, bi, trans, or straight. I do not want to create any kind of extra segregation tho i know that is a possibility. Starting the group at school could prove to be more difficult because my school is a small country school with a great deal of christian influence. I think it would be worth trying tho, because the school has so many bullying issues against the LGBT students that attend it, but there is also a great deal of people who are open to the idea. Eventually I'd love to see the group expand to include diverse problems within the school and outside of it. This is all probably more of a dream than a reality but I'd like to give it a try. Once again thank you for your opinions it helped give me some ideas and better ways to word things so that people understand the group is open to anyone and everyone wanting to make a change.

It sounds like a great idea. You have the right perspective on things. Some folk need that support network because some folk are not lucky enough to have it in their private lives. Just knowing there is somewhere to go where you can openly discuss any issues you have without been judged is a great thing. I hope it goes well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users