Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Effects Of Our Overly Sexualized Culture On Our Youth

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

rod1

rod1

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I think it's disgraceful that people as young as 14 or 15 are receiving the message that they should be having casual sex on a regular basis. Even this forum is guilty of encouraging inappropriate attitudes towards sex among these people who are essentially children.
Does anyone else feel the same or am I the only sane person left?

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _
Wait, what? 'Innapropriate attitudes'? How is sex and sexuality innapropriate, and if I think the opposite.. that makes me insane? Wow. There's nothing wrong with sex, discussing it or enjoying it. You make it sound as if it's something shamelful and not to be discussed.

Kids are always going to be aware of sex and the package along with it. There's no fighting that they will eventually know quite a lot about it. You could point fingers and say who's to blame, like the media or schools educating children too late or early etc. But let's face it, it's their own decisions and taking part in sexual activity is up to them. Even if they are too young, kids are growing up a lot quicker and there's no helping it. It could be because of over exposure or under exposure to such topics, I don't know. But saying it's something shameful and talking about it with disgust is not the way to go about the issue.

In my opinion, it's merely curiosity. I actually think that having a section on the forum regarding sexuality is more or less helpful and will advantage teens, rather disadvantage them. I mean, wouldn't you rather they know the consequences and ask as many questions as they possibly can before they jump into the world of sex without knowing a thing?

I personally think that as long as they are being safe, use protection and actually want to do it.. Then there's no problem. They can do as they please.

rod1

rod1

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Wait, what? 'Innapropriate attitudes'? How is sex and sexuality innapropriate, and if I think the opposite.. that makes me insane? Wow. There's nothing wrong with sex, discussing it or enjoying it. You make it sound as if it's something shamelful and not to be discussed.

Kids are always going to be aware of sex and the package along with it. There's no fighting that they will eventually know quite a lot about it. You could point fingers and say who's to blame, like the media or schools educating children too late or early etc. But let's face it, it's their own decisions and taking part in sexual activity is up to them. Even if they are too young, kids are growing up a lot quicker and there's no helping it. It could be because of over exposure or under exposure to such topics, I don't know. But saying it's something shameful and talking about it with disgust is not the way to go about the issue.

In my opinion, it's merely curiosity. I actually think that having a section on the forum regarding sexuality is more or less helpful and will advantage teens, rather disadvantage them. I mean, wouldn't you rather they know the consequences and ask as many questions as they possibly can before they jump into the world of sex without knowing a thing?

I personally think that as long as they are being safe, use protection and actually want to do it.. Then there's no problem. They can do as they please.

I never said sex was disgusting. It is something to be taken seriously though, and 14 year old children are not mature enough to do so, or to handle the emotional consequences. Sexual images and messages in the media are giving children absolutely the wrong message about sex and that is what I find disgusting. Even if children do use protection, the emotional effects of sex are scarring for a child.

And people like you with your "oh kids can do what they like" attitude are part of the problem.

Nereus

Nereus

The Old Man Of The Sea

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts
Studies have shown that middle school kids as young as 12 are having sexual intercourse. According to one particular study which took place in the SE US, "12 percent of students had already engaged in vaginal sex, 7.9 percent in oral sex, 6.5 percent in anal sex and 4 percent in all three types of intercourse." This is by age 12 now. The study also found that students that students engaged in these sexual behaviors without the use of a condom, and showed that 1/4th of students engaged in sex with multiple partners.

I'm all for programs that address the needs of students who are NOT yet sexually active to promote healthy attitudes that help them to wait until they're older to have sex. The need for providing skills and knowledge in regards to condoms and contraception is very real, and not always done. The study also showed that sexually active young people receive "accurate and factual information and services related to STDs and pregnancy testing, as well as skills for future abstention and risk reduction for those who intend to remain sexually active."

Non viral and viral STD's can occur in each kind of intercourse. Many children think that anal sex or oral sex is safer than vaginal intercourse, and that's not the case at all. I'm all for younger people having sex IF they understand all the risks at hand. We need to educate our children better.

I'll leave you with one more statistic:

Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 80 percent of the 435,427 births to mothers ages 15 to 19 were the result of unintended pregnancies. According to the National Vital Statistics Report, birth rates among Hispanic and black teens remain higher than other racial/ethnic groups, including rates among those ages 10 to 14.

A better education and a better understanding can lead to a healthier future imo.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam
  • Fav Song Pearl Jam - Alive
You see, this is why anyone under the age of 18 should be locked up. Makes life so much easier. Darn kids...

rod1

rod1

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

I personally think it's outright stupid to shelter teenagers. Kids who are 14 or 15, sure, they are legally children, but if you treat them like a child they will not appreciate it and they won't listen to you in the slightest. I know when I was that age if anyone spoke down to me it pissed me off so much. Sure you might not be an adult yet, but you no longer really feel like a child. Patronising teenagers like that and wrapping them up in cotton wool just does not work, especially when we live in a society so entirely saturated with sexuality.

I think it's only right to facilitate certain discussions and to educate kids. I think treating sexuality as a sort of no-go area just isn't healthy. Plus, they're getting to ages where they are going to be curious, they're hormonal as fuck and they're going to find out by themselves one way or another. I think it's more healthy to educate kids... If they're going to be doing these types of things, first and foremost they should know how to protect themselves. If there's anything worse than a 14 year old having sex, it's an idiotic 14 year old having sex with no idea of the potential physical and emotional and indeed, legal consequences, getting themselves pregnant or potentially being locked up for stat rape.

As for the education itself, first and foremost I think it SHOULD begin at home... Although sex education should be more of a core part of education, starting at around 12 years old IMO, although no doubt they will be asking their parents questions before that. I think in terms of implementing MORALS on the kids, it should be mainly down to the parents to teach the kids about the emotional effects of sex, what is right/wrong, what is okay and what isn't. But you can't entirely place responsibility on the parents, society as a whole also helps to educate kids. The thing is, it's much harder to change society and for anyone to take responsibility than it is to say "you should have taught your child X".

However I do think our society as a whole over-sexualises children. It's difficult to pin the blame on one particular area of society for that. But if you think of it like this, the clothing stores would not be making padded bras for 7 year olds, or thongs, or clothing with provocative slogans if there wasn't the market there. Ultimately they're going to make what people are going to buy and what sells.

EDIT: I'm just noticing in your post. Although you are fully right that these 14/15/16 year olds ARE kids, and yes, anyone under 18 is legally speaking, a child... Do you really think if what you are going for is to truly educate these teenagers about sex and the emotional consequences, that they would listen to you if you referred to them as 'children' and kids? Most teenagers I know would balk at that and just tune out. Speaking like that to them alienises them.

You people just hear what you want to. I never said anything about sex education, of course they should be taught the facts. Learning about sex is obviously important, but the facts do not encourage kids to have sex. It is what they see on tv, in magazines, and on the internet that is leading to unhealthy attitudes. For example the "fetish fest" thread on this site will make them think they should be doing and talking about these things too, when they see other members gushing about their "fetishes". This section isn't education, it's a place for kids to boast about their sexual activity and feel cool or something.

I refer to them as children in an attempt to illustrate the immaturity and idealism of these people. "Teenagers" does not give the same message as "children". This is hopefully a discussion among older people, I wasn't talking directly to any "young people".

You see, this is why anyone under the age of 18 should be locked up. Makes life so much easier. Darn kids...

You clearly have nothing to contribute here.

k00p

k00p

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Haste the day
Jessticles and The Captain both wrote about the same opinion i have, so i will will spare you for another wall of text.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam

You clearly have nothing to contribute here.

How did you know?!

rod1

rod1

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

How did you know?!

I don't know if even you believe you are funny.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam

I don't know if even you believe you are funny.

Somebody woke up on the serious side of bed the morning :(

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _

I never said sex was disgusting. It is something to be taken seriously though, and 14 year old children are not mature enough to do so, or to handle the emotional consequences. Sexual images and messages in the media are giving children absolutely the wrong message about sex and that is what I find disgusting. Even if children do use protection, the emotional effects of sex are scarring for a child.

And people like you with your "oh kids can do what they like" attitude are part of the problem.

Oh yeah, because from your posts you really seem like the person who thinks it's fine to be sexually active. Really.

Yeah, because people like me are part of the problem. I'm not actively encouraging teens to go fuck, now am I? No, darling it's what's called an opinion. I don't care what they do as long as they stay safe. It's the same that goes for others, take any form of action, be safe and deal with the consequences yourself. Because I really don't care what they get up to otherwise.

You're generalising, 'scarring for a child?' Do you actually believe this? Yeah sure, they may be a little young but it's their own actions and they must deal with themselves.

k00p

k00p

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Haste the day

You people just hear what you want to. I never said anything about sex education, of course they should be taught the facts. Learning about sex is obviously important, but the facts do not encourage kids to have sex. It is what they see on tv, in magazines, and on the internet that is leading to unhealthy attitudes. For example the "fetish fest" thread on this site will make them think they should be doing and talking about these things too, when they see other members gushing about their "fetishes". This section isn't education, it's a place for kids to boast about their sexual activity and feel cool or something.

I refer to them as children in an attempt to illustrate the immaturity and idealism of these people. "Teenagers" does not give the same message as "children". This is hopefully a discussion among older people, I wasn't talking directly to any "young people".

Why is it an unhealthy attitude to talk about sex at the early teen years? Both boys and girl will be curious about sex at that age, they will start to getting girl/boyfriends and it is not just enough to kiss and cuddle anymore at that age.. Nothing new in that, have been that way for generations now. No reason to blame the media and say its their fault they start experiance sex at an "early age".

And i see nothing wrong with an 14 year old talk about sex and experiance with their friends, why should it be wrong? The teen years are a road towards being an adult, and that will inculde alot of sex, and talk about sex.

Mandi_Massacre

Mandi_Massacre

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

I'm 18...so does that mean I can be spared? :)

Nereus

Nereus

The Old Man Of The Sea

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts

First off, there's many older people here. I see no problem with the older members talking about their fetishes. No one is glorifying anything. I'm a 23 year old male. I'm not a kid. There is nothing unhealthy about teaching kids about sex. They're going to be curious. That's just natural. Plus, read through the rest of G&S, there's some pretty good threads here that are educated. I think you saw one thread, and you jumped to conclusions.

rod1

rod1

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Oh yeah, because from your posts you really seem like the person who thinks it's fine to be sexually active. Really.

Yeah, because people like me are part of the problem. I'm not actively encouraging teens to go fuck, now am I? No, darling it's what's called an opinion. I don't care what they do as long as they stay safe. It's the same that goes for others, take any form of action, be safe and deal with the consequences yourself. Because I really don't care what they get up to otherwise.

You're generalising, 'scarring for a child?' Do you actually believe this? Yeah sure, they may be a little young but it's their own actions and they must deal with themselves.

When did I ever say it wasn't fine to be sexually active? It isn't my problem if you take from my posts messages which are absolutely not there.

You don't care about the emotional wellbeing of kids simply because you're young and flippant. You'll realise your mistake in the future. They're not able to understand the consequences of their actions themselves, so they do need people looking out for them. I hope you're never a parent.

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam

I'm 18...so does that mean I can be spared? :)

You can be spared then :P

If I can be serious for a minute (get the reference for 3 internetz) it's not really EC's responsibility. Most of EC's regular members are late teens or mid twenties. There's a few younger ones but it's not our responsibility over what they do on the internet. I'm not their mother. Maybe if their parents took some responsibility this would not be an issue.

k00p

k00p

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Haste the day

When did I ever say it wasn't fine to be sexually active? It isn't my problem if you take from my posts messages which are absolutely not there.

You don't care about the emotional wellbeing of kids simply because you're young and flippant. You'll realise your mistake in the future. They're not able to understand the consequences of their actions themselves, so they do need people looking out for them. I hope you're never a parent.

Please stop calling teenagers kids :>

rod1

rod1

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

First off, there's many older people here. I see no problem with the older members talking about their fetishes. No one is glorifying anything. I'm a 23 year old male. I'm not a kid. There is nothing unhealthy about teaching kids about sex. They're going to be curious. That's just natural. Plus, read through the rest of G&S, there's some pretty good threads here that are educated. I think you saw one thread, and you jumped to conclusions.

The older members may want to discuss their fetishes, but the younger ones are free to read them, and they are highly impressionable. Do you actually know anyone aged 13 or 14? Would you discuss your fetishes in front of them in reality? It's too easy to be apathetic from behind a computer screen.

Mandi_Massacre

Mandi_Massacre

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
There are some threads on this forum that aren't necessary, but the whole point of G&S is to ask questions, get different opinions, and become informed about things so you aren't completely ignorant and just start having sex.
People share their stories to make sure others don't make the same mistakes, and I see nothing wrong with making an informed decision as long as you can handle the consequences.
True, in most cases people aren't informed and end up getting played or pregnant, but if at least one person looks at this forum and decides not to have sex after all, that's one less STD or potential unwanted pregnancy.
Nowhere in this forum does it say "you should go and get laid"

Mandi_Massacre

Mandi_Massacre

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

You can be spared then :P

If I can be serious for a minute (get the reference for 3 internetz) it's not really EC's responsibility. Most of EC's regular members are late teens or mid twenties. There's a few younger ones but it's not our responsibility over what they do on the internet. I'm not their mother. Maybe if their parents took some responsibility this would not be an issue.

I shall remember your kindness when I take over the world :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users