Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mythology/folklore

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Steve†

Steve†

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
I'm looking for some books or other media on mythology, folklore, cultural history etc. of any culture I haven't already got something on. So far I only really have Welsh, Nordic and Aztec/Mayan mythology and history books as well as knowledge on Japanese, Greek and English history etc., though I am interested in other cultures such as the South Africans.

I just need pointing in the right direction for good books/films relating to some of this. I'm mostly interested in the mythology and folklore, though some interesting historical events to read about wouldn't be turned down either. Just to also point out, I don't mind you recommending any culture at all, you can even recommend more Nordic books for me to read. Oh I am open to discussion as well about this topic in particular so if you want we can talk about what I already know.

Algernon

Algernon

Immer nach Hause

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

I'm looking for some books or other media on mythology, folklore, cultural history etc. of any culture I haven't already got something on. So far I only really have Welsh, Nordic and Aztec/Mayan mythology and history books as well as knowledge on Japanese, Greek and English history etc., though I am interested in other cultures such as the South Africans.

... Are you saying Aztec and Mayan mythology is the same thing?

You are dead to me, Steve. Dead.

Steve†

Steve†

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

... Are you saying Aztec and Mayan mythology is the same thing?

You are dead to me, Steve. Dead.

I know they're not the same thing, though when I think of Aztecs, I also think of Mayans. I blame the AoE 2 Conqueror's Edition for making their buildings look the same. Either way, how much do you know of Aztec and Mayan mythology and do you have any books concerning either?

This is the book I have already on Aztec/Mayan mythology: http://i43.tower.com...k-cover-art.jpg and here's a summary of what it's about: http://www.utexas.ed...s/extauazp.html if you have a better suggestion for a good book, I'd be happy to check it out :D

pretty vacant

pretty vacant

Delicate Snowflake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yokai attack is a very good book about japaese myths. its very good. i dont know if this is the kind of thing you are after but...

TerrierChad

TerrierChad

PINGAS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,730 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Pearl Jam
  • Fav Song Pearl Jam - Alive
INCAS R TEH SAYM AS AZTECS THO RYT?!

Algernon

Algernon

Immer nach Hause

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

I know they're not the same thing, though when I think of Aztecs, I also think of Mayans. I blame the AoE 2 Conqueror's Edition for making their buildings look the same. Either way, how much do you know of Aztec and Mayan mythology and do you have any books concerning either?

This is the book I have already on Aztec/Mayan mythology: http://i43.tower.com...k-cover-art.jpg and here's a summary of what it's about: http://www.utexas.ed...s/extauazp.html if you have a better suggestion for a good book, I'd be happy to check it out :D

I am notoriously obsessed with the Aztecs, and thus also Aztec mythology. My final thesis in university was even largely about the mindset and psychology of the Aztecs Ė and I have a stylised Quetzalcoatl tattoo on my shoulder simply because of how much I love everything Aztec-related. Iím a mindless fan-boy, you could say.

Books about Aztec mythology I would recommend: The Fifth Sun by Burr Cartwright Brundage is my main go-to book about everything related to Aztec mythology. Itís a comprehensive overview of their Gods, the calendar, the myths etc. The Jade Steps by the same author is about the rituals and daily religious life of the Aztecs. And, to round out the trifecta, for a good history of the Aztec peoples themselves: A Rain of Darts by the same author (again). Some parts of it are outdated, but I have read a lot of books about the Aztecs, and thatís definitely the best one to start with if you want to know about their day-to-day history.

Another very interesting little book is This Tree Grows out of Hell by Ptolemy Tompkins, which deals with Mesoamerican religion, rituals, shamanic history and religious life as a whole; mainly Aztec and Mayan.

Josh Joshson

Josh Joshson

That one guy who you don't remember..

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Mayday Parade
  • Fav Song Misery- Maroon 5
Are you interested in the actual mindset and way of thinking of people of these times, or just the actual stories that they tell?

Steve†

Steve†

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

I am notoriously obsessed with the Aztecs, and thus also Aztec mythology. My final thesis in university was even largely about the mindset and psychology of the Aztecs Ė and I have a stylised Quetzalcoatl tattoo on my shoulder simply because of how much I love everything Aztec-related. Iím a mindless fan-boy, you could say.

Books about Aztec mythology I would recommend: The Fifth Sun by Burr Cartwright Brundage is my main go-to book about everything related to Aztec mythology. Itís a comprehensive overview of their Gods, the calendar, the myths etc. The Jade Steps by the same author is about the rituals and daily religious life of the Aztecs. And, to round out the trifecta, for a good history of the Aztec peoples themselves: A Rain of Darts by the same author (again). Some parts of it are outdated, but I have read a lot of books about the Aztecs, and thatís definitely the best one to start with if you want to know about their day-to-day history.

Another very interesting little book is This Tree Grows out of Hell by Ptolemy Tompkins, which deals with Mesoamerican religion, rituals, shamanic history and religious life as a whole; mainly Aztec and Mayan.

I thought you may, since you gave the same response Chad would if I had said "So Huddersfield is a lot like Leeds".

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations, I will be sure to check them out, especially The Fifth Sun as it seems interesting enough, I would like to start off with some more on Aztec mythology so I'll begin there.

Do you have a photo of your Qeztlcoatl tattoo? I'm interested as to what it looks like now. I also love Aztec architecture and designs too, they're so intricate with their buildings, the way they're built just looks amazing and that fascinates me. I love the shaman masks as well ever since... 13 years ago I think, when I started playing populous 3. That's where mythology in general began to interest me, because of that game. Ok I'll stop now before I get carried away

Are you interested in the actual mindset and way of thinking of people of these times, or just the actual stories that they tell?

I'm equally interested in both, getting into the mindset of how they thought would help me to understand more about these cultures which could inspire me to write something of my own about the cultures or write a fiction related to the stories of the culture. The stories themselves are not only entertaining but inspiring to me, much like stories of King Arthur and his father Uther in Welsh mythology without going into too much detail. Why, do you have any related material you can suggest?

Algernon

Algernon

Immer nach Hause

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

Do you have a photo of your Qeztlcoatl tattoo? I'm interested as to what it looks like now. I also love Aztec architecture and designs too, they're so intricate with their buildings, the way they're built just looks amazing and that fascinates me. I love the shaman masks as well ever since... 13 years ago I think, when I started playing populous 3. That's where mythology in general began to interest me, because of that game. Ok I'll stop now before I get carried away

No, I don't have a photo of it. It is a very simple tattoo, though: it's copied from a temple wall, it's in a single colour and it's only three inches or so. Nothing special at all.

The Aztec priests were insane. They smeared themselves with a paste of alcohol, tobacco, scorpion venom, thorns and hallucinogenic plants and ran around like that in the middle of the night, they castrated themselves, they tore maguey thorns through their tongues and genitalia, self-flagellated themselves to such an extent that would make the most self-abusive Christian monk look like an attention-whoring emo, some of them wore the skins of special sacrifices for up to a year. Young, beautiful people were selected to be the Gods on earth for a year and were treated as such before they were sacrificed after a year... Okay, I'll stop now before I get carried away.

I'm equally interested in both, getting into the mindset of how they thought would help me to understand more about these cultures which could inspire me to write something of my own about the cultures or write a fiction related to the stories of the culture. The stories themselves are not only entertaining but inspiring to me, much like stories of King Arthur and his father Uther in Welsh mythology without going into too much detail. Why, do you have any related material you can suggest?

In that case you might want to read the Popol Vuh (Mayan religion).

AutumnaL EquinoX

AutumnaL EquinoX

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Country
  • US State:North Carolina
  • Fav Band Skillet
  • Fav Song So very many
Brace for minor topic derail:

I carry a copy of "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton with me everywhere.

90% of it is Greek Mythology, the remaining ten percent being a half-assed section on Norse mythology in the back. Which is also my one complaint about the book. Other than that, s'very good read. Explains the major and minor myths in detail, snippets of the actual prose, translated into english, also has some stuff from Virgil and Ovid.

Also, as for films on Greek Mythology, don't bother, they're all shit. Unless there is suddenly some sort of indie film I've never heard of that manages to stay true to the myth and not suck in every way possible, you're out of luck in the film department.

Ashez

Ashez

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Missouri
  • Fav Band Blood on the Dance Floor
  • Fav Song When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars

I just need pointing in the right direction for good books/films relating to some of this. I'm mostly interested in the mythology and folklore, though some interesting historical events to read about wouldn't be turned down either. Just to also point out, I don't mind you recommending any culture at all, you can even recommend more Nordic books for me to read. Oh I am open to discussion as well about this topic in particular so if you want we can talk about what I already know.

do u like historical fiction? 'cause if you do read Tiger's Curse.

Reflection

Reflection

Noitcelfer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .
  • Fav Song .
Read "La Noche Boca Arriba" anyone?

Steve†

Steve†

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Books about Aztec mythology I would recommend: The Fifth Sun by Burr Cartwright Brundage is my main go-to book about everything related to Aztec mythology. Itís a comprehensive overview of their Gods, the calendar, the myths etc.

Just wanted to say I've been looking around shops for that book for a while, finally I decided to order it online since I couldn't find that book anywhere. The delivery date is appalling (7 to 23 days delivery) but I'll be getting it soon. I'll tell you what I think of it once it arrives. Thanks for the recommendation!

O Brave New World

O Brave New World

Republican and Proud.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
The Silmarillion.

Algernon

Algernon

Immer nach Hause

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

Just wanted to say I've been looking around shops for that book for a while, finally I decided to order it online since I couldn't find that book anywhere. The delivery date is appalling (7 to 23 days delivery) but I'll be getting it soon. I'll tell you what I think of it once it arrives. Thanks for the recommendation!

It's quite an old book and I think it's been out of print for a good time, so I'm not surprised at all you couldn't find it in any stores. Again, the age of the book makes some concepts and interpretations outdated, but overall, it's my favourite book as an introduction to Aztec mythology.

Batista Petrov

Batista Petrov

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country
  • US State:New York
  • Fav Band Iron Maiden
  • Fav Song The Trooper
If someone is interested in Slavic mythology, the information can be found at:
Slavic mythology

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song
This novel doesn't cover mythology in the slightest, but it is still an amazing read. I'm not all that into Aztecs, honestly. However, its a hell of a story. (And it goes along with history rather well from what I understand.) It tells the story of an Aztec guy in his life leading up to the Spanish arriving, and if I remember right the later books continue along this line with his descendants.

Aztec by Gary Jennings

Algernon

Algernon

Immer nach Hause

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts

This novel doesn't cover mythology in the slightest, but it is still an amazing read. I'm not all that into Aztecs, honestly. However, its a hell of a story. (And it goes along with history rather well from what I understand.) It tells the story of an Aztec guy in his life leading up to the Spanish arriving, and if I remember right the later books continue along this line with his descendants.

Aztec by Gary Jennings

Big Aztec nut that I am, I read this book. Pretty fun. I enjoyed it. Don't read the next books in the series, though. They're dreadful.

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song

Big Aztec nut that I am, I read this book. Pretty fun. I enjoyed it. Don't read the next books in the series, though. They're dreadful.

I wanna say I read the next couple...last thing I remember is SPOILER: Some guy trying to have a revolution and getting his ass kicked by the Spanish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users