Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Safe Sex

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Steve

Steve

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
What personal precautions do you take to have safe sex (if any)?

Myself, I like to keep condoms on hand whenever it comes to the possibility of sex. I'm scared shitless of being a father of a baby I didn't intend, or a new host to a painful STD. That means I take them whenever I go out drinking, clubbing or to a party just in case. I imagine there's nothing worse than waking up in the morning to a girl and a memory of "Can't wait to have sex, no condoms, I'll risk it" in your drunken stupor, not that I've ever made the mistake of a drunken one night stand before, but I can be impulsive so you never know.

In relationships, when I knew for certain my partner's sexual health and what contraceptives are being used, I'm in less of a "safe sex is my responsibility entirely" state because I know that it's both mine and my partner's responsibility and can put trust in her as well as myself. Particularly, condoms were on hand at both mine and her place, so if we felt in the moment, again, no "I'll risk it" thoughts are involved.

A friend of mine, on the other hand, seems to think that contraception is the woman's responsibility. "It's her vagina, right? She should be the one to prevent herself from having a child or an STD, it's her body!" - I disagree with that. Sure, she should take responsibility for contraception in concern of her own health, but my friend denies that he should take any precautions at all.

So, again, what do you do to ensure safe sex?

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • US State:New York
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song
I've never encountered a girl who wasn't on birth control.

Thank fuck for that, I hate condoms.

Chip

Chip

Potato Chips Are Friends, Not Food

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Virginia
  • Fav Band .

Birth control is never 100% reliable. There are missed dosages and pieces that fall out. My aunts got ripped out and now she pregnant. With the pieces being so tiny, it's easy not to realize that they have fallen out, which they do every blue moon. And even if everything is in check, there is always that determined swimmer.

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song

Birth control is never 100% reliable. There are missed dosages and pieces that fall out. My aunts got ripped out and now she pregnant. With the pieces being so tiny, it's easy not to realize that they have fallen out, which they do every blue moon. And even if everything is in check, there is always that determined swimmer.

Thanks, mom, I'll keep that in mind. You do realize condoms have a higher failure rate?

Chip

Chip

Potato Chips Are Friends, Not Food

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Virginia
  • Fav Band .
Yes but I was just saying. You sounded as though you thought there was no way in hell you'd be a baby daddy with the all mighty birth control.

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song

Yes but I was just saying. You sounded as though you thought there was no way in hell you'd be a baby daddy with the all mighty birth control.

I know there is always a risk. Hence my imminent sterilization.

finality

finality

opt out

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,489 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band suis la lune

That determined swimmer? Hormonal birth control ensures that no egg is released - so even if there is a "determined swimmer" it will have no egg to fertilize.

And he's right, the pill is more effective than condoms if taken correctly - why not lecture Steve for using condoms, they could always break. :P The risk of getting pregnant is miniscule anyway, especially if it's not within a 5 day window around the time of ovulation. There is no way to be 100% safe sure, but you could say that about anything in life, I could be hit by a bus today, doesn't mean I'm not going to leave the house. I think you have to just live and don't let worrying about miniscule risks stop you from enjoying your life.

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

You know he is a lot older than you, don't you?

LionJess

LionJess

Mistress of Ceremonies/Jessica the Vile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts
Well, right now I'm single so birth control is not a massive concern. I am on the pill through, for reasons of protecting my one remaining ovary, but the birth control is a handy aside, and I'd probably be on the pill even if not for that reason.

In the past, I've really just used my pill. I'm extremely fussy about how I take my pill, so I don't mind about using just that. Besides, I really fucking hate condoms. Anyone who said that there's no difference is lying, it's skin on skin compared to skin with an artificial rubber layer between you. That said, it is not worth the risk and I would absolutely always use a condom if I wasn't committed to someone, or if it was just a one night stand or casual sex or whatever else. I might prefer sex without condoms, sure, but taking the risk STI wise is just not worth it. I do wish there was something other than condoms though that protected you from STIs.

Do I carry condoms around with me? No, because one night stands and casual encounters are not something that I want to get back into.

About whose responsibility it is, it's absolutely both persons responsibility, and I think both can be outright stupid about it sometimes because they entirely rely on that other person to take care of it. It would've been great if that funding for the male birth control pill had gone through, so guys could actually take responsibility for themselves without having to rely solely on condoms - but I don't think I'd trust my boyfriend to take the pill, tbh, it's something that would affect my life so massively if I got pregnant that I want to be sure that I've protected myself.

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

First class fuck up.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band -
No sex = safe sex.

KiddKarma

KiddKarma

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
"No glove, no love."

I always carry condoms around with me just in case I need them. I was with a girl the other day, just talking and chilling. I decided to let her go through my wallet to see what was in it... She found the condoms in there and was immediately in stitches, she found it so funny that I carried condoms with me?!

LionJess

LionJess

Mistress of Ceremonies/Jessica the Vile

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts
If you carry condoms in your wallet the friction can cause holes in them... just so everyone knows. It's not an uncommon unlikely thing lol, quite the opposite.

Noitcelfer

Noitcelfer

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Northern Marianas Islands
  • Fav Band ..
  • Fav Song Reflection

If you carry condoms in your wallet the friction can cause holes in them... just so everyone knows. It's not an uncommon unlikely thing lol, quite the opposite.

True story.

KiddKarma

KiddKarma

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I was not aware of this. Luckily I have more at home >< If I ever find I need them then I'll just go to the store and buy some I guess.

JustIvanov

JustIvanov

Delicate Snowflake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Alabama
  • Fav Band JustIvanov
  • Fav Song
I would like more specifics

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song

I always carry condoms around with me just in case I need them. I was with a girl the other day, just talking and chilling. I decided to let her go through my wallet to see what was in it... She found the condoms in there and was immediately in stitches, she found it so funny that I carried condoms with me?!

She was just laughing at you thinking you'll ever get laid.

KiddKarma

KiddKarma

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

She was just laughing at you thinking you'll ever get laid.

"ever get laid again.*

She may be right, hopefully not though!!! D:

Steve

Steve

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

I hate condoms too, but I'd hate my dick to look like a lion bar even more so I prefer to go with them than nothing :lol:

And he's right, the pill is more effective than condoms if taken correctly - why not lecture Steve for using condoms, they could always break. :P The risk of getting pregnant is miniscule anyway, especially if it's not within a 5 day window around the time of ovulation. There is no way to be 100% safe sure, but you could say that about anything in life, I could be hit by a bus today, doesn't mean I'm not going to leave the house. I think you have to just live and don't let worrying about miniscule risks stop you from enjoying your life.

If there was a pill for guys to take, I'd totally do that. I mean I already take suppliments daily so it wouldn't be a bother adding another pill to that, I've already got a daily routine. I'm liking that philosophy, some people are so afraid to do things because of small risks involved, like going on roller-coasters or even something like cycling.. It's depressing.

Well, right now I'm single so birth control is not a massive concern. I am on the pill through, for reasons of protecting my one remaining ovary, but the birth control is a handy aside, and I'd probably be on the pill even if not for that reason.

In the past, I've really just used my pill. I'm extremely fussy about how I take my pill, so I don't mind about using just that. Besides, I really fucking hate condoms. Anyone who said that there's no difference is lying, it's skin on skin compared to skin with an artificial rubber layer between you. That said, it is not worth the risk and I would absolutely always use a condom if I wasn't committed to someone, or if it was just a one night stand or casual sex or whatever else. I might prefer sex without condoms, sure, but taking the risk STI wise is just not worth it. I do wish there was something other than condoms though that protected you from STIs.

Do I carry condoms around with me? No, because one night stands and casual encounters are not something that I want to get back into.

About whose responsibility it is, it's absolutely both persons responsibility, and I think both can be outright stupid about it sometimes because they entirely rely on that other person to take care of it. It would've been great if that funding for the male birth control pill had gone through, so guys could actually take responsibility for themselves without having to rely solely on condoms - but I don't think I'd trust my boyfriend to take the pill, tbh, it's something that would affect my life so massively if I got pregnant that I want to be sure that I've protected myself.

Hm yeah I learned the pill had a lot of alternative uses to birth control too, a friend of mine takes the pill to balance her hormones out, those little things are useful.

Even those 'skyn' condoms still don't feel any more like bare skin, I don't get people who say that. Besides, yeah, condoms are for safety, not pleasure (even those ribbed and studded ones are a joke) though gladly they don't take all the pleasure away for me, it's still good, just not as good. It's an interesting thought, really. There's no way other than a physical barrier to prevent STDs from happening that I'm aware of, maybe one day though?

There was actually an idea for the development of a guy pill? Want. As I said earlier with yinfaitl, I'd be sure to take it daily, there's no "did I?" about it with me, when it comes to something as important as contraception, there's no room for error as far as I'm concerned. Going double dutch isn't a bad idea though, decreases the chances even more (though anyone reading this who doesn't know, using a condom as well as a femadom is a bad idea, the latex rubs together and erodes). This pill needs to be developed <_<

Also on the note of STDs: As I understand it, you can get herpes from someone who has a cold sore or is prone to them if they give you oral. You can get the HSV-1 (cold sore) virus on your genitals as well as HSV-2 (genital herpes) from receiving it from someone with the virus.

finality

finality

opt out

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,489 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band suis la lune
I have to admit I hate condoms too, they really kill the mood and they're just so much hassle. :( I will probably go on the pill next year.

and Steve, I wasn't criticizing you or anything for using condoms, more the logic of that person :P As for the wallet thing, I wouldn't imagine it would be a significant issue unless a condom was kept in your wallet for quite a long time? I would've thought it'd be generally ok.

Steve

Steve

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
yinfaitl: Oh yeah I didn't think you were criticising me, just the idea of a guy pill is a good one to me :lol:

I just talked to a girl mate of mine and she said she once used cling film as a contraceptive.. I.. What??! Cling film??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users