Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Celibacy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

lukejeffrey12

lukejeffrey12

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
About six months ago, to the straining vocals of These Things Take Time by The Smiths, I announced my celibacy to the frankly astonishing reaction of nobody caring and the collective relief-sodden sigh of women from around the globe, most likely whilst retaining a startling and impressive indifference. Thus, rather than give my friends and family something they wouldn't forget too soon, my peculiar revelation was instantly forgotten.
I was pushed to this seminal decision by a few things. . . Firstly; I'm terribly shy in real life (away from the glare of a computer screen), it is almost criminal and a hideous trait to behold and it makes meeting girls a flesh flayingly difficult thing to (ahem) do, let alone trick those unfortunate females into my listless little bed. Secondly; I've never had sex for love. Never. I have only ever indulged in dalliances of the flesh in order to quell my carnal urges, and I always manage to do so with an almost impressive detatchment to the girl in question, therefore, in quite a profound sense, I feel as if I am a virgin. Of emotional entanglement if nothing else. And thirdly (and perhaps least importantly) I idiotically believed that by refusing to fuck, I would be SO aloof that this would make me interesting and somewhat enigmatic. (So far, it has not. I'm still boring). . .

So far, though, it is going ok. Surpressing my desire is helping me focus on the aspects of people I meet with more depth. It's easier to find out more interesting things abut people once you permeate the facade, so to speak. Though I feel as if I am a caged animal obstreperously bawling and thrashing to explode from my cage. So I may just have to become promiscuous again for anybody who's self esteem is crippled enough to want me. . .

My questions, I suppose, are:
What is everybody's thoughts on celibacy? Have you had any experience of it yourself, or do you know someone who is? If you are celibate - why have you chosen to be celibate? Do you think it's weird or, maybe, even stupid to deny yourself of the most base and primitive needs?

I hope this provokes some kind of discussion because I think it could be quite interesting, but, then again, I'm celibate - what do I know about interesting? :P

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
To each their own, if you want to be celibate, so be it. I don't think it's weird at all, we all have our own beliefs.

Reflection

Reflection

Noitcelfer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .
  • Fav Song .
I'm a warrior of peace, chasing the elusive mayfly of love. Until then, I am remaining celibate. That is, until I change my mind.

Staton

Staton

King of the Internet

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

I'm a warrior of peace, chasing the elusive mayfly of love. Until then, I am remaining celibate. That is, until I change my mind.

Dude fuck yeah, a Trigun quote?

Chica

Chica

Screeeeeeeeeeeee~!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,306 posts
Does it count if you have never done it before in the first place? I obviously see no problem/weirdness with it because I plan to stay a virgin forever.
Good for you. ^w^ It is better to try to see people for who they are than for 'other things'.

ZombieRecon

ZombieRecon

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
What is everybody's thoughts on celibacy? I think it's completely fine, I see nothing wrong with not having sex. I fnd people gong out and having sex with randoms completly weird though *shrugs*

Have you had any experience of it yourself, or do you know someone who is? I am celibate....

If you are celibate - why have you chosen to be celibate? I chose not to have sex unless I had real feelings for someone... And as a "consequence" I am also a virgin. Also the fact that I find it extremly difficult to talk to people out of shyness and low self-confidence.

Do you think it's weird or, maybe, even stupid to deny yourself of the most base and primitive needs? Nah, it's not weird. Sides, you can always masturbate.

Steve 

Steve 

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
Does not having sex because you just don't think about it that often count? If so, I'm celibate until I happen upon someone I actually like.

Algernon

Algernon

Immer nach Hause

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,554 posts
I think people are confusing 'being celibate' with 'not getting any'.

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • US State:New York
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song

I think people are confusing 'being celibate' with 'not getting any'.

True story.

I haven't gotten laid in like a month, doesn't mean I'm celibate.

hjohn

hjohn

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Chet Baker
I don't consider myself celibate either. Though I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I have had sex with random people after a night out too often and I have been in relationships and cared about my partners. Like Jessticles said there have been times where I didn't feel like/didn't get laid for various reasons (it had never been over three or four months though) but I do enjoy having sex whether it is just for the sake of having sex or because I am in a relationship or dating someone.

Nereus

Nereus

The Old Man Of The Sea

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,833 posts

No, I wouldn't ever consider myself celibate, though there may be long periods of time where I don't have sex, it's been well over a year before. But that's more of a choice, and I wouldn't consider myself to be celibate purely on the basis that if a guy came along and it felt right with him, I'd sleep with him. I enjoy sex far too much to want to abstain, especially if I was seeing someone, christ, I could not imagine being celibate then. It'd be easier when you're single because then it's more just not getting laid. 

This.

tundah

tundah

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
if dont wanna have sex, then dont... this is the 21st century, we can do what we want, we dont have to be married off at 13 :S

Innocence

Innocence

stuck in a daze

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band --------
What is everybody's thoughts on celibacy?

I respect a lot people who choose this kind of path and I think it shows how much they respect themselves and their bodies.

Have you had any experience of it yourself, or do you know someone who is?

No, I've never done such thing myself. I don't believe in one night stands and just giving it to anyone. Having sex with someone is part of a profound act of love, that in my opinion, should not be wasted with just anyone hanging in the crowd. I respect both parties. It's their life and their body.

If you are celibate - why have you chosen to be celibate?

I'm not celibate, but I don't have sex with just anyone (durr).

Do you think it's weird or, maybe, even stupid to deny yourself of the most base and primitive needs?

Nah. It might not meet with your basic instinct, but hey, who are we to say it's out of the ordinary?

.. ...

.. ...

Recovering

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Country
  • US State:New York
  • Fav Band
  • Fav Song
What is everybody's thoughts on celibacy?

Do it if you want to, or don't do it if you don't want to.

Have you had any experience of it yourself, or do you know someone who is?

I've never deliberately not gotten laid. As I would put it, I didn't have sex by choice. Her choice.

If you are celibate - why have you chosen to be celibate?

N/A

Do you think it's weird or, maybe, even stupid to deny yourself of the most base and primitive needs?

Nah. Do what you do.

Reflection

Reflection

Noitcelfer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .
  • Fav Song .

Dude fuck yeah, a Trigun quote?

Love and peace.