Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pregnancy When Your Young

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

PatchIsaNarwhal

PatchIsaNarwhal

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Hey guys and girls of AN,

I haven't posted in a while ha.

But Im writing this today to start a discussion about Pregnancy under the age of 20, Personally i think that it will ruin your life... It will prevent you from going to school and getting the adequate amount of sleep needed for a teenager, Stop you from spending time with your friends or going out, There is the chance of being bullied. And what if the guy who knocked you up in the first place leaves? Then your screwed. Anyway.........
I have a friend who got herself knocked up she's 16. She took emergency contraception 4 days after she had sex it obviously didn't work but in the end she ended up killing it. Abortion one of the many things i think is wrong with this world.
I personally disagree with pregnancy of anyone under the age of 20. Especially when its people who are between 15-17 and havent even left school yet. And for the 15 year olds not being legal for sex yet!

I would like to know your opinions on this.

Blanket

Blanket

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I agree. Young pregnancys are a horrible idea in my opinion, it seems like you need to grow up yourself before trying to raise a child. It seems to be happening more and more though, as far as I can tell. It's hard to meet people anymore that haven't had one if not multiple children by their mid-twenties. Thank the lord I haven't had any of my own yet lol

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
You can still go to school while being pregnant and most teenagers don't get an adequate amount of sleep, I know I sure didn't and turned out fine.

PatchIsaNarwhal

PatchIsaNarwhal

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Yeah i know alex. I know that sleep deprevation is a big problem for me

Screaming Silence

Screaming Silence

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Country
  • US State:California
  • Fav Band We Came As Romans
  • Fav Song My Skin by Natalie Merchant
I had a family friend who got pregnant when she was 22. It ruined her life. Her "boyfriend" still hasn't married her (she's 24 now) and she is renting a home with him and sharing it with another young adult family who has a 2 year old daughter like them. It makes me very angry, frankly because her boyfriend can be a complete asshole to her and she is too prideful to move in with her parents. They're not spending their money properly because her boyfriend has a drinking problem so there is always money for beer but never enough money for food. I have never seen my friend so skinny in her life. I always invite her and her daughter over and make them dinner because I know my friend is practically starving herself to keep her boyfriend from stressing out about money. Frankly, even getting pregnant at the age of 22, when you are still in college, is difficult. Maybe not as bad if you were 16, but still hard.

A different story, I tutor a 7th grader in English. She's only 13, and she's pregnant. She isn't allowed to get an abortion because her mother is highly religious and they are naming her crude names she should never have been called. Not only that, but she is protecting the man who most likely, as I consider it, raped her. I am honestly seriously worried about her, she is so tiny and petite. Yesterday, she asked me if there was a way to kill it naturally so her mother wouldn't blame her.

Frankly, I don't see anything good that happens from getting pregnant at a young age. I am not saying you need to get married first, but I suspect that having a place of your own and a job, along with some money in the bank, should tell you if you are able to provide for a child. Marriage doesn't really matter, it just matters if you can take care of it when it is born. However, there is always adoption besides abortion. I don't exactly agree with abortion but I think in extreme cases, such as being pregnant when you are 13, it may be a good option.

PatchIsaNarwhal

PatchIsaNarwhal

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
13! you serious... fuck her mum that poor girl could die before the kid's even born.... bloody hell

Lightning.

Lightning.

Zap!

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,058 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Snow Patrol
  • Fav Song The Lightning Strike
My friend is 21 and she's pregnant. She was worried about it at first but two weeks ago she found out that she's having a little girl and she's so excited, I'm excited for her too. It wouldn't be my choice to have a baby now and I'm a year older than her.

If a person is grown up enough to have sex, then they should be grown up enough to handle the consequences of it.

KimberleyAnn'

KimberleyAnn'

First classs bitch.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Sleeping with sirens.
  • Fav Song Rodger rabbit.
if they are stupid enough to have unprotected sex than thats what happens you get pregant but if they are 15-17 and they want a baby than that is there choice .. as long as they can support and take care off the baby than i honestly have no problem with it... but for the girls who get pregant jsut for that money when they jave a child (baby bonus i think its called) now that is wrong .

Xx_pretty_venom_xX

Xx_pretty_venom_xX

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Indiana
  • Fav Band The Ramones
  • Fav Song Spacegrass - Clutch
Patch I totally agree, I'm not having any until i'm AT LEAST 23 years old, and financially stable. Mainly because of the modest upbringing I had and I want to be sure i'm totally ready and not going to mess up the kids life.

Corbeaux

Corbeaux

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Some girls are mature more earlier than others. Personally I wouldn't want a child at least before my thirty's for several reasons but I have no problem with thus who want to start up a family earlier.

I know having a child demands huge among of your time, day after day. But I think it doesn't mean you have to drop everything for it as your carrier, friends, traveling,of even studying.
It demands a lot of self-discipline and organization skills but it is still possible. What's count is to be happy and the way to happiness is different for everyone of us.

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _
See, in theory, I think it's a ridiculously stupid thing to do and no one is ready for that.

I mean, I'd argue against having kinds any way. How much would you spend on a child? Imagine the damage you'd do to your body to produce a thing that will likely treat you like shit when it grows up? It takes up so much time and effort and then there's the fact that it needs constant care and you have to ensure it's brought up to best of care. That's too much hassle and stress in my opinion. Plus, they're annoying.

I hate it when teens get pregnant, barely take care of their child, sponge it off on their parents and live recklessly. However, not all people are like this. There are people who are fantastic at taking care of their child, you can't judge them. I feel justified in hating them if they complain about their lives constantly, live off of benefits and are abusive parents.

Otherwise, props to teen parents who can actually care, love and provide for their child. Having said all that though there are good stories about young parents and not all of them are bad. I know a girl who pregnant at 15. She had her kid, continued her education, went to college and is a fantastic parent from what I see and is still with her child's father. There is also another girl who wanted to have a baby with her boyfriend when she was 17, I don't know why though. She had a miscarriage, and then decided to wait until she had finished college and got a job, house and she had her kid at 19. Happily ever after.

Plus, my parents had me when they were quite young. I turned out okay. ;)

There is also the issue of abortion, which you've hinted at in your OP. Okay, you've made it clear, you're against it and you've made a topic about it before. But you have no say in judging someone else's choices regarding what they do with their body. It's not an abortion topic, and I don't want to go down that route (again >_> ) but, if I ever ended up with child, and I didn't want it.. I would not take someone telling me what I can and can't do. It's none of your business nor does it affect you, so pipe the fuck down.

Steveá

Steveá

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
As a general rule, I'd say anyone pregnant under the age of 20 probably didn't plan it, and if they did, wouldn't know the consequences and responsibilities of having a child. A lot of ex classmates I have added on Facebook have children and are doing a shitty job of it too. I remember one wrote an extremely distressing post on Facebook about losing her baby on the bus or something. I thought that's only the kind of thing that happens in Friends. Apparently not. Another always posts statuses asking their Facebook friends (via a status update) if they can get someone to babysit their child. While there's nothing wrong with getting a babysitter to spend some alone time with a partner or just enjoying yourself, asking anyone over Facebook every day is just... Another loving mother and father once wrote a status about their baby being hospitalised because they gave them paracetamol or aspirin or something. There's a fucking warning on the packet, in case simple shit like "don't feed your baby adult sized doses of medication, they're much smaller" isn't actually fucking implied. Come on.

Whilst age doesn't necessarily mean wisdom, there's some correlation between the two, which is why youth is more often than not, related to na´vety. Young parents tend to be a lot more na´ve, which can make them unfit to raise a child. Young people also tend not to have a good enough grasp of the financial world to be able to support a child and a suitable place for said child to live. This is why I think young parents (See first 4 words of post) are more often than not, unsuitable ones. My parents were 17 and 18 when they had me, and they did a fine job of it (haven't committed any serious crimes, not traumatised by anything serious, model citizen etc.), so I have first hand experience that the generalisation isn't 100% true, but come on, you know about it from reading the news, hell I bet most of you have first hand experience with a bad, uncommitted or otherwise unfit, young parent.

I'd say, though, I believe a parent should be a capable, committed one, able to take care of their child financially and emotionally (the former until they gain independence and the latter for life). They should realise that a baby is a full time thing and is a huge inconvenience for themselves, but be attentive and love them anyway, not complain about it and pass it onto unexpected grandparents for them to take care of instead (they did it before, they can do it again, right?). Your child cries? No shit it cries, that's the only real form of communication it has until it learns other methods, then it will still cry because ITS A DAMN CHILD, YOU FOOL. It's like buying a motorbike and hating the fact the engine is so loud, if you didn't expect it, why diid you make a decision without putting any thought or research into it? My analogies are good, shut up.

Young or no, an unfit parent is an unfit parent and should be treated as one (IE throw stones at them and boo them).

Screaming Silence

Screaming Silence

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Country
  • US State:California
  • Fav Band We Came As Romans
  • Fav Song My Skin by Natalie Merchant

13! you serious... fuck her mum that poor girl could die before the kid's even born.... bloody hell

Exactly. ): Even if she did get a C-section, it wouldn't mean they[mother and child] would both survive.

DarkParadise

DarkParadise

Come on baby show me what that loaded gun is for?

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
Everyone to their own vices is how I feel. I feel that unless you have a child you can not really judge anything within that. Sure if your fifteen or sixteen or younger even giving birth probably should not be at the top of your list of priorities. However things happen, things don't work out , stuff falls through etc. Now I think having kids is the greatest gift you can have. While when your young it may seem scary even unbearable however when you hold that baby in your arms its like nothing else, you never realized how insignificant you are and how much love you hold for that baby. Having Ayden has changed not only my ideas, but my entire perspective on life? Yeah completely thrown out of the window. Also there are many programs put to place to help girls who end up making that choice. Having a child is the most miraculous thing entirely. If you are young you do grow up fast of course but its not like you mind, after all I'd do anything for my son. Sure I've made lot of mistakes, I made numerous and numerous mistakes but like anything you learn to correct it, you learn to do it right and having a child I can't really explaining it to those who are childless because even before having Ayden I never thought in a million years I'd have a baby.

Well things of course did not turn out the way I planned and I am totally happy I have my son even if I was young I make do, my son goes to the day care within the school I go too sure at first it was stressful and sometimes I wanted to scream or yank out my hair but when you hold someone so tiny in your arms and they are apart of you it makes you change and its a change you do not mind. Sure I work, need help occasionally from my parents and also doing school work while raising a 2 1/2 year old is very stressful (they get into everything!) but honestly I could take countless hours of just sitting there and playing with my son over going out and getting drunk. I do not feel like I am missing out on anything. You don't change over night but when it comes to your own kid(s) you will do absolutely anything and I mean anything to make sure they are well taken care off, my reward? When he puts his hand in mine and its just me and him and also my boyfriend and its paradise there is nothing I would do to change that because the first day I saw him, the first day I realized how real it all was, was enough to sell my soul, heart and life to Ayden.

thenonemowhowantedtobelove

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Well of course they fall out of school and find it hard getting a job later on. But thats not there fault!
Governments Need to make better use of technology We have the technology to teach online lets do it!
We need to put them on online courses so they countinue to learn even though there not in school.
We brainwash society to thinking if you get pregnant your not going to find a suitable job.
When with the technology today that does not have to be the case.
Chipping away at a course on a computer screen is easy trust me....

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Right now on the non political stance.

Society often picks on them just for being pregnant :(
Jobs also Will be hard for them to come by.
I feel Society Judges them alot. :(
It is really quite sad how nasty society can be to someone who had kids at a young age.

Yes they will be bullied sometimes in subtle ways
People have no right to Judge in the first place!
And they Certainly do not have any right to Judge when they have no idea of the circumstances surrounding it!
Also guys if you get someone pregnant and there underaged that is just sick and wrong.

And if they are bringing up kids at a young age.
They have had to give up alot to do it.
So there Legends.

People seem to forget that without kids the human race does face Extinction So any one bringing up kids properly and safely is therefore a legend!

Steveá

Steveá

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Right now on the non political stance.

Society often picks on them just for being pregnant :(
Jobs also Will be hard for them to come by.
I feel Society Judges them alot. :(
It is really quite sad how nasty society can be to someone who had kids at a young age.

Yes they will be bullied sometimes in subtle ways
People have no right to Judge in the first place!
And they Certainly do not have any right to Judge when they have no idea of the circumstances surrounding it!
Also guys if you get someone pregnant and there underaged that is just sick and wrong.

And if they are bringing up kids at a young age.
They have had to give up alot to do it.
So there Legends.

People seem to forget that without kids the human race does face Extinction So any one bringing up kids properly and safely is therefore a legend!

Why does every post you make have the formatting of a poem?

Whimpering Thundercloud

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Why does every post you make have the formatting of a poem?

hahahaha i don't know because i have a lot to say and if i say it in that format it looks neat and tidy like that!

DarkParadise

DarkParadise

Come on baby show me what that loaded gun is for?

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
Except for TOO YOUNG I think its good for kids to have younger parents since their isn't such a huge generation gap and you can 'grow up together' in a way. I say of course the best age would be in your twenties, when you have a good husband and a steady income I say at most 25-28 is a good time or even early 30s. I am able to keep up with Ayden cause I'm still physically fit and I can run after him usually before he does to much damage....just kidding! He is a very well-tempered boy I got lucky and he didn't have colic and hardly cries unless he gets really upset he's usually rather patient.

PatchIsaNarwhal

PatchIsaNarwhal

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
The human race is no where near extinction.

There's what? over 7 billion people in the world and counting.

Anyone who has children under 20 is just stupid .-.
I mean in the 90's and before that it was okay it wasn't looked upon as something stupid.

But now just bleh! it's considered a extremely stupid act. Which it is.

But you guys all have your opinions and i have mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users