Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Film Review - Argo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _
Argo

Rating: 15
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Drama and Thriller
Directed By: Ben Affleck
Written By: Chris Terrio
Link: Clicketh me.

In the tremulous year of 1953, the CIA overthrew the legitimate Iranian Prime Minister and, in his stead, they situated the Shah, otherwise known as a supposed ‘King’, alongside his uncontrollable and vicious secret police in a place of power. Soon after the cancer stricken Shah lost his supremacy, weak, he sought asylum with the American government.

The true events that escalated can only hint as to the revolution attempted by the Iranian militia, the extremity of the situation climaxed until the Iranians protesting the Shah’s escape - demanding he be returned to Iran in favour of answers and an impending execution, they attacked the US embassy, resulting in a staggering number of fifty two American citizens being taken hostage, with a mere six managing to find refuge with the Canadian Ambassador. Considering the CIA are partially to blame for the events taking place, operative Mendez (played by Affleck) devises a plan to infiltrate Iran and rescue the operatives in a foolhardy manner. He deduces that in order to rescue the hostages, a fool proof plan must be concocted in order to rescue and simultaneously remain incognito from the Iranian officials.

Mendez decides that in order to do so, they must operate as a film crew delving into the depths of the Iranian desert to film a sci-fi flick.

Fool proof? Hardly likely. Predictably, the plan doesn’t go so well and with the twists and turns undulating at every corner, the humorous and light mockery Affleck delivers towards Hollywood, with the assistance of two of the most impacting characters, Chambers (John Goodman) and Siegel (Alan Arkin) who portray Hollywood industry veterans, offering a charismatic and intensely amusing light to the narrative, portrays the compelling message that Terrio’s exceptionally gripping script is that the film is purely created to entertain.

It has it’s clichés of course, the acting isn’t entirely subpar, there are few mistakes and there is an overwhelming quality of a homage to the 70’s. Politically, it has its drawbacks. The American’s need to create a war film when the world is ripe with strife misgivings is a mere indicator that the obsession with playing victim will always be a recurring theme. However, the film is partly a success due to the current political struggles the US seems to find itself in; this partially lends to the films hilarity and makes it relevant. The political agenda is never forgotten in Hollywood, yet, Affleck creates a dry sense of wryness and thrilling intensity that can hardly be ignored in his need to re-tell this story. With the sharp and cutting dialogue, the tense moments and gripping characters surrounding him on screen, Affleck has undoubtedly created a wonder of sorts with Argo.

Dry, witty, political and undoubtedly a strange thrill of trivial wonders, Argo is exceptionally entertaining in parts, despite it’s dark, seemingly familiar and dramatic plot and is likely a film you’d likely be enlightened to watch, if only of course you could stomach the political and historical strife undertones with a dash of appropriately placed humour to pull it together.

Plot
Posted Image
Albeit entertaining, it resembled too many political films in my opinion. Fresh, interesting yet mediocre.

Cast
Posted Image
Impeccable acting, although cheesy – which could be entirely due to the era it’s set in.

Impact
Posted Image
No impact.

Originality
Posted Image
Original in the sense that it was wry and had certain twists, but predictable.

Overall rating
Posted Image

I wouldn’t pay to see this film, despite it being well executed and having generally some overall great points to it. It’s a political historical film that would have otherwise been something I’d not glance at twice, it's mildly interesting and compelling, yet familiar. Affleck’s directorial debut made it bearable and lends to the success that it is.

-

Any comments that turn political, waaah, hostile in nature and off topic regarding lord knows what bullshit is going on, I'll ask a green, red or purple monster to smite you.

So fuck off with that shit in my topic.

Two Headed Bro

Two Headed Bro

basedyoloswag4lyf

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Lil B 'The Based God'
  • Fav Song Lil B - I'm God
It's very hard to tell whether you enjoyed this or not from reading the review. I saw it the other day and I enjoyed it more than I would a regular political film. Chambers and Seigel were definitely the standouts and lent much needed wit and humour to what was really quite a dark plot.

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _
I do have a sense of mild indifference towards it, the fact that it was well done is what appeases me but it's the political aspect of it that is off putting. Although I do agree with you, it is slightly better than most films of its genre - I however, still don't really see the zest behind it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users