Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Good Camera?

photography art camera cameras

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Okano

Okano

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Norah Jones

What is a good camera to start with? I want to use a canon. My price range is $75 to $350.

nah

nah

nah

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band you
  • Fav Song you

Presuming you're talking about a DSLR:

You're quite limited with that price range for getting a decent camera, even the Canon rebel which is really an entry level DSLR is $500 plus. If you can get a second hand camera that would probably be your best bet right now and you're best getting a good lens as that really makes a huuuuuuge difference to the picture quality, i'd argue the lens is more important than the camera a lot of the time. If you're a complete novice to DSLR's though that isn't too important - it's just if you're planning to carry on with photography, lenses are sort of timeless, a decent lens will last you years while the body is constantly upgraded and old within a few years.

You'd be hard pressed to find a decent Canon DSLR, even a starter one for that price, unless it's second hand. 

Megapixels aren't hugely important either, a lot of people seem to think they are but anything over 8MP is usually fine, especially for a novice.

If you were to look second hand, look at the Canon Rebel Range.

My friend is actually selling a Canon 1000D, which is worth around $700 when you have a lens too and the rest of the kit too. She's selling it for £250 (Just under $400) which is just out of your price range, but it comes with a decent lens, strap, battery/charger etc, all in a great condition. :lol: Something to consider. ;)

meetodafreako

meetodafreako

Frequent lurker, rare poster.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band -
  • Fav Song -

Double your price range and you have some great cameras.

I'd go with the older Rebel cameras, or low-end nikons.
--

In my opinion, Nikon has superior sensors and great glass but lack on the video side of things until you get to the more prosumer level bodies, but canon has superior glass (in both selection and quality), great sensors, and has great video features on even the low-end cameras.

If I just did photography and not video, I'd go with a nikon.
But I do both photography and video, so I prefer Canons.
-
Unfortunately, right now I am stuck using a Fujifilm FinePix HS10, which is a great camera that I would suggest if you are just getting started at taking photography pretty seriously.

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Canon=Better Video

Nikon=Better Photos

Ask yourself why you want Canon? Is it because it looks cool? etc.
I'd honestly go to the store, pick one up and see which one feels better in the hand. I personally like Nikon and that's what I use. As said above, if you're looking for a DSLR, you're going to want atleast a budget of $500. There's always the option of fetting just the body of the camera and ditching the kits lens. This may save you some money and replace it with either a 35mm lens or a 50mm, if you're serious about photography. They're good lenses and good to learn with, I went down that route and I was happy with it. I bought zoom lenses down the road.

If I was you, I'd buy used. It's cheaper and you can find some pretty good deals. Check out a local camera shop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photography, art, camera, cameras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users