Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Camera Advice Please?

photography Camera

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jagk Baratwat

Jagk Baratwat

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi, I'm currently searching for a good point and shoot camera to take to concerts, as this year i'm going to many more concerts than usual. 

I want something with a good battery life, and i think the ability to have an extremely fast auto focus is necessary, i'd also like if anyone could recommend cameras, that they have used for this sort of thing... a 10x optical zoom also. 

If anyone has used a good affordable point & shoot camera for concerts before, please suggest it below. 

I don't mind if there are no replies for this but i'd greatly appreciate anyone's suggestions. 

thanks 

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

What's your price range?

Jagk Baratwat

Jagk Baratwat

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

What's your price range?

Under $250

Steve 

Steve 

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Looking at that price range, you're not going to get much in terms of a professional camera. I'd look around sites like eBay if you're going to aim for a decent one, a lot of photographers who have upgraded their camera will be pawning off their old ones for a lower price. 

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _

She doesn't want a professional camera, merely something that does a decent job and isn't too glam. Hence 'point and shoot camera' which is otherwise known as a compact camera.

Canon, Sony or whatever are decent enough, although I'm not one to ask. If you're going to concerts, you'd want something anti motion blur, and something durable yet light, so it doesn't hinder you with it's bulk, and will easily fit in your purse and such.

Best bet is honestly making a list of what you would like the camera to do, and then base your search off of that. Forzare and Alex are honestly the ones to ask for in this regard. 

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Under $250

$250 isn't too bad of a price point. That can get you a pretty good camera.

At first glance, this looks like a good camera: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0075SUK14

What I like about it is the zoom. That's going to help you a lot with getting tighter shots. I think the widest is 25mm and the longest is 500mm on that camera. Which is huge.

The issue with concerts is the low light, which a lot of cameras suffer with. Concert lighting changes drastically and no concert is the same when it comes to that, in my experience. If you're going to a concert during the day or that is outside, such as a music festival of some kind. That camera is going to be pretty damn good I think, especially with the zoom.

nah

nah

nah

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band you
  • Fav Song you

^ I like the look of that one for what you want to use it for, OP.

Particular stand out features:

1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor - CMOS sensor is very important nowadays on point and shoot, makes pictures much better than old point and shoots could get. A good sensor is very important for low level lighting which is what you'll have to be dealing with.

25mm wide-angle lens (20x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 80x combined zoom) with optical image stabilizer - You have a HELL of a lot of zoom there haha. Not always a fantastic thing - the more zoom you have the more unstable the picture will be when zoomed in, especially getting jogged around at a gig, however the stabiliser should go a long way to help with that,

High-Speed Burst HQ for continuous capture at a maximum of 10 frames - You might find this pretty useful as well at gigs, high speed continuous shooting means you can take lots of pictures all at once and hope that some of them come out well when you're holding the camera above the crowd and whatnot. Should mean you get at least a few more in focus shots than usual.

5 Hour photo shooting battery life sounds pretty damn decent, it supports lots of memory card types which is very handy too.

Overall it sounds like it'd suit your needs a lot and you'd be looking for something like that or with similar features if not that. Also Canon is a fantastic brand, I only use Canon.

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _

semi-hijack of thread alert.

Overall it sounds like it'd suit your needs a lot and you'd be looking for something like that or with similar features if not that. Also Canon is a fantastic brand, I only use Canon.

What about Fuji? 

I've always wanted a dslr, and I enjoy photography but thought they were ugly cameras, so just thought meh. I'm shallow, I know.

But they've made the cutest vintage styled camera, and I don't even care if it's amazing, it looks so cute and the interactive video I've seen of it seems like it does a decent enough job. 

This seems really weird, so to clear the confusion, I have an obsession with things vintage looking.

nah

nah

nah

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,623 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band you
  • Fav Song you

What about Fuji? 

I've always wanted a dslr, and I enjoy photography but thought they were ugly cameras, so just thought meh. I'm shallow, I know.

But they've made the cutest vintage styled camera, and I don't even care if it's amazing, it looks so cute and the interactive video I've seen of it seems like it does a decent enough job. 

This seems really weird, so to clear the confusion, I have an obsession with things vintage looking.

I always found fuji cameras to be sooo weird looking, some of their zoom lenses remind me of old man penises, they just look so so horrible :lol: Definitely not the most attractive brand around, i'm totally shallow when it comes to how a camera & lens looks too :L

Which camera is that? linnkkk

But yeah I totally get that, I was in PC World the other day looking for a decent point and shoot for chewy's dad and there was this gorgeous vintage looking camera, I think it was fujifilm actually, might have been the same one. Looked so so good, however I am in the future getting a film camera, there are so many gorgeous old film cameras selling for barely anything on ebay and ohmygod the old canon logo is just lovely. Shooting flim is just the most decadent of photography indulgences too :lol:

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

^ I like the look of that one for what you want to use it for, OP.

Particular stand out features:

1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor - CMOS sensor is very important nowadays on point and shoot, makes pictures much better than old point and shoots could get. A good sensor is very important for low level lighting which is what you'll have to be dealing with.

25mm wide-angle lens (20x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 80x combined zoom) with optical image stabilizer - You have a HELL of a lot of zoom there haha. Not always a fantastic thing - the more zoom you have the more unstable the picture will be when zoomed in, especially getting jogged around at a gig, however the stabiliser should go a long way to help with that,

High-Speed Burst HQ for continuous capture at a maximum of 10 frames - You might find this pretty useful as well at gigs, high speed continuous shooting means you can take lots of pictures all at once and hope that some of them come out well when you're holding the camera above the crowd and whatnot. Should mean you get at least a few more in focus shots than usual.

5 Hour photo shooting battery life sounds pretty damn decent, it supports lots of memory card types which is very handy too.

Nikon guy here. :/

What about Fuji? 

Olympus Pen's look like that.  They look like 35mm film cameras.

I always found fuji cameras to be sooo weird looking, some of their zoom lenses remind me of old man penises, they just look so so horrible :lol: Definitely not the most attractive brand around, i'm totally shallow when it comes to how a camera & lens looks too :L

But yeah I totally get that, I was in PC World the other day looking for a decent point and shoot for chewy's dad and there was this gorgeous vintage looking camera, I think it was fujifilm actually, might have been the same one. Looked so so good, however I am in the future getting a film camera, there are so many gorgeous old film cameras selling for barely anything on ebay and ohmygod the old canon logo is just lovely. Shooting flim is just the most decadent of photography indulgences too :lol:

I have a Canon AE-1, I love it. Great photos and it doesn't kill your pocket.

Jagk Baratwat

Jagk Baratwat

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

$250 isn't too bad of a price point. That can get you a pretty good camera.

At first glance, this looks like a good camera: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0075SUK14

What I like about it is the zoom. That's going to help you a lot with getting tighter shots. I think the widest is 25mm and the longest is 500mm on that camera. Which is huge.

The issue with concerts is the low light, which a lot of cameras suffer with. Concert lighting changes drastically and no concert is the same when it comes to that, in my experience. If you're going to a concert during the day or that is outside, such as a music festival of some kind. That camera is going to be pretty damn good I think, especially with the zoom.

Thanks a heap this one looks good, and it's got a good price on it ^.^ 

Thanks to everyone that replied as well <3

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _

I'll be honest, I've not seen any others, they all look the same to me :lol: That's how out of touch I am, haha.

..Okay, ew Leah, ew. 

I'm so glad you said that, seriously. I felt bad for not wanting to try photography out just because I didn't like the look of something, but it's just how I roll, y'know?  

It really is! I've seen some beautiful old cameras around and on etsy too, they're so lovely, and I just wish they were made like that. 

I can't remember the name of it, but it's a new model and it's coming out in March, (I think it's the X100S, the new model of some old thing I think..) my dad said he'd get it for me and I really want it... but I've been thinking logically, do I want something or do I ask for something I need? A camera is more of a fancy, rather than a need. 

Sigh. 

meetodafreako

meetodafreako

Frequent lurker, rare poster.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band -
  • Fav Song -

Nikon guy here. :/

Olympus Pen's look like that.  They look like 35mm film cameras.

I have a Canon AE-1, I love it. Great photos and it doesn't kill your pocket.

Got my Holga-swag on right now.
Got it as a gift from a friend of mine. :3

Nikon sensors and software, canon glass, canon video capabilities.
Why don't they just collaborate and make an amazing love-child.

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Got my Holga-swag on right now.
Got it as a gift from a friend of mine. :3

Nikon sensors and software, canon glass, canon video capabilities.
Why don't they just collaborate and make an amazing love-child.

Canikon!

But you can use Canon glass on a Nikon body and vice-versa, just need to buy an adapter and they aren't too expensive.

meetodafreako

meetodafreako

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band -
  • Fav Song -

I know that but Nikon minus canon's video advantages is a no for me.
I do film and photo so yeah that negates owning a Nikon.

but damn them sensors are fiiiiiine

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

You can always own both. :lol:

meetodafreako

meetodafreako

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band -
  • Fav Song -

You can always own both. :lol:

do i look like i am made of money? :lol:

oh and i totally would too haha

Fizz

Fizz

C'est pas vrai

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band The Weeknd
  • Fav Song Glass table girls

Sony alpha/nex reporting in. Hello electronic, mirrorless technology, 12 frames per second A57 fuck the rest :P

S9300 in the nikon is pretty nice can't remember the price range. But if you can afford it, go for a bridge camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users