Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Good Undercover Cop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Okano

Okano

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Norah Jones

I was stopped last night around 00:00. An officer stopped me for a loud illegal exhaust on my car. I pulled into the markeplace parking lot while he trailed behind with his lights on. I reached into the glove compartment for my registration and got my license ready.

In my state it's law that we have motorist insurance. I didn't have insurance. My license was also suspended.

Earlier I had pulled up beside him at an intersection. I knew then that he was an undercover officer. His car was a Dodge Charger, black, unmarked, and had a stop light mounted on the left side. I wasn't worried then as I didn't know my exhaust was illegal and my car came that way when I bought it. Then he pulled up behind me at the next light. The light was taking too long. There was no traffic at all this late at night. I look behind me. Round, white LED lights for head lights. It's that undercover car.

"Good evening sir. Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No sir."

"You have a modified exhaust."

"Oh. Okay. But I bought it this way. From a dealership."

"Okay, but no matter where you bought it from it's illegal in the state of Washington to have a modified exhaust."

"Oh. Okay sir."

"May I see your license and registration please?"

I held out my license and registration.

"My license is suspended sir."

"It is?"

"Yes sir, and I have no insurance. Well... I think my license is suspended. I'm not sure. For SR-22 financial responsibility."

"You think it is?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay let me check on that. Dispatch can I get a verification for (censored).... sheesh if I could get on the fricken radio."

We wait a few minutes as another officer on the radio interrupted his call to dispatch.

"What happened to your window?"

Uh oh he thinks the car is stolen. "I had to break into my car."

He nervously smiles. "You could have called a lock smith you know."

"I was at work and my gear was in the back seat."

He doesn't respond.

"Didn't you hear me get on the radio with her before him? I called her and as soon as I finish he gets on."

An officer at the rear of my car replies. I had no idea he was there. I check my rearview mirror and I see a silver, marked patrol car.

"Wow." I thought.

He repeated himself into the radio.

Dispatch replies.

"Silver 2001 Dodge Neon 4 Door. License suspended for SR-22 Financial responsibility 2018."

"So it is suspended."

Fuck. It's over. No more job, no more place to live.

"Have you ever been arrested or stopped before while driving on a suspended license?"

"No sir."

"Okay well today might be your lucky day then."

After this I don't recall the exchange.

"I'm going to let you go today. You have to get your exhaust replaced within the next few days and reinstate your license before you drive again. Do you have someone who can pick up your car?"

"No sir."

"Really..? You don't have friends or family here who can pick up the car or give you a ride? You can leave the car here."

"No sir."

"Where are you from?" he asked. I tell him where I'm from.

"When did you move here?"

"2006." I lied. I couldn't remember when I had moved here.

"You moved here in 2006 and you don't have any friends or family here who can give you a ride or pick up your car?"

"I can walk home sir."

"Where do you live?"

I told him the neighborhood where I live.

"That's a long ways to walk."

It really wasn't too far. Maybe 3 or 4 hours by foot.

"It's okay I can walk."

He didn't look at me and then he quickly replied, "Okay have a good day sir."

Oh man what a relief. I couldn't believe my luck. Or was it luck?

I stepped out of my car. I didn't look at the cars or the officers which had pulled me over. I quickly gathered my tan backpack and tan canvas pack, put all of my identifying papers in them, gathered my gear and started walking home. I was going to buy some food at the market, but screw it. I actually thought about just waiting until they leave and then drive home, but no they'd watch me and see if I did exactly that.

So I walked. Various thoughts of despair went through my head.  Just like the old days, I thought. No big deal. I also take notice of three other cars with modified exhaust. He only stopped me because I was right next to him and he needed to meet his quota.

I stopped at a gas station to buy a sandwich and fruit. I hadn't eaten in a couple of days.

I open a door to the immaculate Circle K station and I'm greeted by loud, classic rock music. It sounds good. I see that no one is at the register, but I drop my gear at the register anyway while I pick my food.

When I go back to the register I'm greeted by a kind, middle-aged man. We give a conversational exchange, we both smile and he says what most cashiers say and I'm off.

Walking down the dark road I think more thoughts of despair. Various other things. All the time so far 3 or 4 patrol cars have passed me.  I think they are keeping tabs on me. Whatever. Like I could care. I've been walking for a couple hours now.

Then as I'm walking to the crest of a hill I hear a car coming behind me. Except I hear the tires decelerating. "Shit." I think. I don't look. Then I hear the car stop. I look to my right and I stop. I see the black, unmarked undercover police car, not realizing at first that it was an officer. I face forward not realizing what is happening then I double-take and see that the window is down and that it is the undercover car from earlier. There's a still silence between myself and the officer.

"Do you want a ride?"

I thought about saying no. I wanted to say no, but he came all this way.

"I would like that."

"Get in."

I walk across the four lane road and I make to get in the rear, passenger side seat.

"Get in front."

So I did. I can't recall all of the exchange, but it went like this.

"Thank you, sir." There's a silence between us for a while. "You've never done this before have you..?"

"No we don't typically give people rides. We're not supposed to give people rides."

More silence. I take notice of the car phone and computer in the center console, both glowing with orange lights.

"How long have you been an officer?"

"10 years."

"Oh. Cool." Silence. "What's your name?"

"Officer Francis."

"Nice to meet you." He's not really looking at me as we conversate.

"Why was your license suspended?"

I pause and think for a moment.

"Well, a while back I got drunk and high and I... and... well I'd rather not say."

"I'm just trying to figure out how we can get your license back."

"Oh well I just have to have insurance and pay a reinstatement fee and prove that I have SR-22 on my insurance."

More silence.

"How far down do you live?"

"Past the sub-station." I reply.

"Why do you want to help me get my license back? You don't have to..."

"I don't want to put you in a situation where you have to drive illegally or lose your job. I understand money is tight these days."

I don't know what to say at this point. I'm not really poor, I just don't care about anything.

We almost miss my house as I'm talking to him.

"....oh sorry. Right here at the white picket fence."

"Where do you live?"

"See that white car?"

We pull up and stop. "So I'll help you get your license. If you get insurance and show me you have insurance I'll pay your reinstatement fee."

"Okay, well I'll think about it. Just give me your number and I guess we'll...."

"Just call the police station and ask her for Officer Francis and I'll get back to you."

"Okay. Well thank you. I appreciate it."

He proffers his hand for a shake. "You're welcome."

I get out of the car and sling my gear onto my back. He drives away. I'm not going to let him pay for my reinstatement fee. I can do it myself.

I go into my house and I realize it smells like shit. It's full of trash because I never ordered trash service. Whatever. Who cares?

I stand in the middle of my house and I talk to myself, or pray, I'm not sure which.

"Why are people so nice to me at the times I need it most? All my life? I don't understand. Why?" I feel immense shivers and goosebumps all over my body. I don't feel so alone all of a sudden. I feel okay, but guilty nontheless. "I'm a liar... I sin, the worst sinner of all of us. I don't deserve this." More shivers, chills, and goosebumps. My eyes well up with tears, but I hold it back.

I drop my gear and turn to my fridge. I'm not supposed to drink, but I have a big bottle of wine in the fridge anyway. It tastes like shit too. I grab it and step outside into the rainy air. It smells wonderful outside. I can see some stars peeking through the clouds. I sit down on my stoop and dig into my wine. Man it tastes so bad. The rest of the night is a blur.

The next day I find that the reinstatement fee is already paid. I don't deserve this.

There are still good people out there.

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Good read and good luck man. There's some good people out there. 

Illegal exhaust club. 

Sylar

Sylar

I'm a Merman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Texas
  • Fav Band ~
  • Fav Song Rabbit Heart

The feels. I have them. I enjoyed reading this, and it's a pretty empathizing story.

Okano

Okano

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Norah Jones

Good read and good luck man. There's some good people out there. 

Illegal exhaust club. 

Da illest exhaust club4lyfe nigs.

Thanks man it's much appreciated.

The feels. I have them. I enjoyed reading this, and it's a pretty empathizing story.

Them feels didn't feel so great while in the moment, but now it's okay! I'm glad you enjoyed it and empathy and all that stuff :] .

RunningWithWolves

RunningWithWolves

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Thats preety cool, so you remained cool and calm and got a good cop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users