Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Has Become Of The Emo Movement?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CaptainChaos

CaptainChaos

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Is it still kicking or is it officially dead? Either way, what can I do to officially declare it history? 

Alzran

Alzran

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I'm pretty sure the emo movement has been dead for quite some time now.

KittyKatKaylaRae

KittyKatKaylaRae

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

?

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous Waste

Tortured Rose

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Dead is relative. It may be dead to someone who has abandoned it, but if you and your friends still follow it, then it's not dead for you. Emo was a local thing anyway, traditionally. It's roots are in indie bands and music, which in their true form are by definition, local. In small towns it has always been normal to find only one or two people following the Emo "movement" if it can be called that. That's where the internet comes in. Without the internet, it might in fact be dead and in fact would have never grown into what it became. More than anything, Emo as a movement is an internet phenomenon. Even as a nationwide or worldwide trend, it has passed through at least 3 different iterations, each time ebbing somewhat (but never completely dying off) between them, and each one has had a different music style, and different style of dress. In between those iterations, it was never really dead; there were still groups of followers who hung on. I doubt if it will ever really be dead, but it will change and evolve, ebb and flow. It attracts people who don't fit into other groups, and there will always be those people; call them Emos, if you will, or if called by some other name, they're still Emos by category. You can't wish it away nor can you make it go away. Why would anyone want to? If you don't like it, don't follow it. The word emo has evolved to define several things, but it's original meaning was that of a genre of music, and there will always be someone listening to it. Music never dies.

PeppermintxKiss

PeppermintxKiss

Inspired!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

^ that was probably the most thought out response someone could probably put. 

as a point, Emo's have just brightened into Scene, and become Mainstream, to turn into Hipsters. 

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

I don't think it was ever a "movement". Just another fad.

Alzran

Alzran

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I don't think it was ever a "movement". Just another fad.

In order for something to be a movement, it has to actually go somewhere...

So yes, a fad.

finality

finality

Nigrescent Black Hole

• forum re-designers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,517 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .

yeah hipster seems to be the new labelly thing, only time I really hear the word emo now is as a joke if someone is being very negative about something :P

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

yeah hipster seems to be the new labelly thing, only time I really hear the word emo now is as a joke if someone is being very negative about something :P

Hipster Corner. Forum activity solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users