Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Dramatic Turn Of Events

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Staton

Staton

King of the Internet

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
So, it's finally leaked. Dream Theater's new album "A Dramatic Turn for Events." I have given this album a good listen through about 5 times and I am ready to give my analysis of it.

Let me preface this by saying that I've been a huge Dream Theater fan for years now. I have followed them and embraced their music and picked apart every song and album they have made. You have to understand that I went into this endeavor wanting to LOVE this album, almost an unfair bias.

But I have to say, this album disappointed me. It really disappointed me in fact. The album is stagnant and at many times, uninteresting. It is marred by uninteresting vocal arrangements, uninteresting riffing, and it has 3 ballad-style songs, which is far too many and really gives a feeling of disconnect. The solo sections in the songs are all fantastic, as they always have been and will be with Dream Theater. We have to accept this as a given. This band can play their instruments and write overwhelmingly good instrumental parts. A small gripe also: The drums and bass were mixed too low. Mike Mangini sounds great and you can't really even tell that there's a different drummer, but the mixing seems off. Now, a song-by-song breakdown (because I KNOW YOU ALL CARE)

On the Backs of Angels - This song was released a while ago as a single. It isn't a bad song by any means, it's a nifty "single" with some good instrumental parts, and one of the better vocal arrangements that you might actually find sticks with you. The lyrics are actually decent, and while nothing amazing, it's a good song.

Build me Up, Break me Down - One of the worst songs on the album. This is one of the most boring songs they've released in a long time, nothing interesting happens at all.

Lost Not Forgotten - This song is okay, although this is a very good example of what I feel about the album. This is a 10 minute long song, and there is a nice piano intro and sporadic guitar breakdown, and then about 4 minutes of stagnant and uninteresting verses that I can't really care about. The instrumental breakdown kicks in at about 6:30 and honestly it's fantastic. However, therein lies the problem with this album: wading through 5 minutes of stagnancy to get to 2-3 minutes of glory. It's like a BTBAM album.

This is the Life - The first "ballad" style song and probably the best one. It's got some interesting things going on, a decent solo. Not too much bad to say about it.

Bridges in the Sky - Essentially suffering the same problem as Lost Not Forgotten, this song is just uninteresting with nothing going on until the breakdown around 7 minutes in or so. Then the instrumental section kicks in and it's awesome (although short). (The outtro also happens to be a carbon copy of Blind Guardian's "Sacred Worlds" which is pretty funny).

Outcry
- One of the highlights of the album, this song is actually great. Perhaps the best instrumental section on the album.

Far From Heaven
- The second ballad on the album, and definitely the worst. It makes me want to shit in James Labrie's mouth. Good wrist-slitting music, reminded me of this shithole.

Breaking All Illusions - The other highlight of the album, great song, and would have been a great song to end on, EXCEPT:

Beneath the Surface- Oh hey look, another ballad. The arrangement and melody is actually nice-sounding, and the lyrics teeter from being alright and relate-able to a bit lame and almost cringe-worthy.

I realize I'm being long-winded but I guess I had a lot to say. I'm left confused. I don't know how a band can grow older and more experienced, and yet devolve lyrically. I'm not saying that Dream Theater has always been a renowned band for their lyrics, but Images and Words, Awake, and even SDOIT had really good lyrical parts. It seems like they really don't care about that aspect anymore at all. Their songwriting has stagnated (I find myself repeating this word almost unintentionally, it's just the strongest thing in my mind, even moreso since the last album. The songs on this album do not even delve into different "parts" like "Nightmare to Remember" "The Count of Tuscany" or even "The Best of Times" did. I don't know what they are doing and I don't like it.

I don't necessarily like putting a number grade on things, but if I have to, I really have to give this about a 5.5 out of 10, or something like that. FUCK THIS GAY EARTH.

k00p

k00p

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Haste the day
Great analyze Staton really looking forward to give it a go myself :D

OT: Whats your favorite Album and song by them ?

Staton

Staton

King of the Internet

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Great analyze Staton really looking forward to give it a go myself :D

OT: Whats your favorite Album and song by them ?

My favorite album and song by them huh? I don't really know. My favorite album would either be Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Awake, or Images and Words. I know listing 4 is a little stupid, but oh well.

Favorite song is hard too. They have all the "epics" that you almost have to exclude because they're in a league of their own (A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany, even In The Name of God, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence).

Excluding those songs, some of my favorites are Voices, Learning to Live, Home, and The Glass Prison.

k00p

k00p

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Haste the day

My favorite album and song by them huh? I don't really know. My favorite album would either be Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Awake, or Images and Words. I know listing 4 is a little stupid, but oh well.

Favorite song is hard too. They have all the "epics" that you almost have to exclude because they're in a league of their own (A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, The Count of Tuscany, even In The Name of God, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence).

Excluding those songs, some of my favorites are Voices, Learning to Live, Home, and The Glass Prison.

Thinking back one song might not be the most easy thing to choose :P

personal my fav album by them would be Awake or change of seasons :)

Reflection

Reflection

Noitcelfer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .
  • Fav Song .
Eh fuck.

Steve 

Steve 

King of Modesty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
I agree, it's a disappointing album by them for sure, listened to the songs and I don't think it's the best they have done by a long shot. For example Build Me Up, Break Me Down was very monotonous with the instrumentals, the lyrics didn't do much for me either so it didn't stick.

They pull off a few good rifs and the occasional drum fill is played well, but other than that.. Not worth buying.

Staton

Staton

King of the Internet

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
Sadly enough, it might be better than their previous 2 albums.

Reflection

Reflection

Noitcelfer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .
  • Fav Song .
Definitely better than the last one, at least. On The Backs of Angels had a couple IAW moments to it, and I was like "Fuck yeah!", thinking that, as usual, a band had chosen its third worst song from the album to be a single.

Then, I was like :(.

Mindy Simmons

Mindy Simmons

Mmm... footlong chili dog.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
This is probably the most disappointing album to be released all year. Breaking All Illusions and Outcry were great, and their were a couple songs that weren't too bad, but so much of it was so fucking boring (Build Me Up, Break Me Down being the most guilty of this) and some of it was just plain bad (Far From Heaven comes to mind).

Reflection

Reflection

Noitcelfer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .
  • Fav Song .

Bringing this thread back, because, honestly, why not? 

Also because Staton has a way with words and this was a great review. 

I fucking love this song.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users