Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Documentaries- What Is Your Take On Them?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Documentaries- What is your take on them? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think its fair for the director and the Producer to only show one side or only part of a story?

1. Yes (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Maybe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. i don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

5. can you repeat that question? (0 votes [0.00%])

6. you're not the boss of me now (0 votes [0.00%])

7. you're not the boss of me now (0 votes [0.00%])

8. you're not the boss of me now and you're not so big (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

SafeZoneXo

SafeZoneXo

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

In my English Class we have been studying documentaries. We have found they are biased. however they are meant to reality. The director and Producer do this by only showing us what they want us to see or one side of the story. which makes the audience feel a certain way.

do you think this fair for the director and producer to only show one side or only part of the story?

What is the saddest Documentary have you seen?

Mine was the falling man about 9/11

What is your favorite documentary?

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

First class fuck up.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band -
Yes, as documentary film is a form of art. The director chooses to create a movie about some subject and chooses what is relevant for the movie, not for everything surrounding the subject. Biased people make biased films, even when it seems objective.

Fizz

Fizz

C'est pas vrai

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band The Weeknd
  • Fav Song Glass table girls

animal documentaries, anything about big cats.

SafeZoneXo

SafeZoneXo

Nigrescent Black Hole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

I voted that yes, it's fair. I think it's fairly natural that anything will have some degree of bias to it. Even how, say, they choose to shoot and edit it... things they leave in, things they edit out, those who they choose to interview and those they don't. Naturally, most documentaries will have some sort of a 'take' on it, it's very difficult in say, an hour to pick a particular topic or issue and argue both sides evenly and hey, if someone wants to produce a persuasive documentary to convince people that they are right, that's great. I nearly always have time to hear peoples passion and why they believe what they do. Even if something is highly biased, I still would watch it. It's up to the viewers to carry out their own judgement and not necessarily believe everything they hear. 

I have a ton of favourite documentaries. I love anything shark or ocean related - I've seen dozens of series about it, my all time favourite ocean documentary is probably Deep Blue. That said, without a shadow of a doubt I've seen more animal documentaries than any other genre - about individual species, ecosystems, animal life in a certain area of the planet, etc. Wild Russia and Wild China were both pretty good.

Food Inc was a great documentary about the global food supply, the power of multinational corporations and how we eat. 

I'm in the middle of watching a series about the Vietnam War that is particularly fascinating, it makes it much more human and horrifying than merely reading a few paragraphs. 

Werner Herzog has produced a number of documentaries I really enjoyed... On Death Row, Grizzly Man and Into the Abyss were all great. 

On a personal note of interest, I think Inside Job was an incredible documentary about the financial crisis that everyone should watch. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the room was pretty good, too. 

I'll have to consult my harddrive later that Algernon gave me loaded with documentaries to find my other favourites. I love documentaries, I would rather watch one of those than a tv series or a movie. 

yes i have heard about alot of the ones you stated i think i watched Food inc in agriculture. i have watched the falling man and alot of other Australian ones like PunchedDrunk and this one about homelessness. 

Edited by Steve , 16 April 2013 - 04:34 AM.
Quoted twice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users