Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tim Burton Lovers! What Is Your Favorite Burton Film?:)

Tim Burton movies Sweeney Todd

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Chip

Chip

Potato Chips Are Friends, Not Food

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Virginia
  • Fav Band .

"Hello Guys&Gals:D this is a place where we can all tell about favorite Tim Burton creations"

A producer helps create  the movie. I'm not saying he directed it. I'm just saying that he had a part in the making of the movie. I do know what the producer does.

Rellik San

Rellik San

Adorably Bitter And Angry Cabbit!

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts

"Hello Guys&Gals:D this is a place where we can all tell about favorite Tim Burton creations"

A producer helps create  the movie. I'm not saying he directed it. I'm just saying that he had a part in the making of the movie. I do know what the producer does.

So you're ascribing someone else's artistic vision to Tim Burton, because Burton helped get it off the ground?

That's like saying the artwork of Gilbert and Gilbert is really the artwork of the Tate because that's where it's on display. It's a complete misnomer and an insult to the actual people who designed the production.

Chip

Chip

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .

I'm not giving credit to Burton at all. You are misreading what I am saying. All I am saying is that Burton was involved with this movie, making it one of his creations (without the funding he provided, no movie, or at least not as great of a movie, since there were two producers). I am not accrediting Burton with concept, just the fact that he DID have a part in the making of this film.

Insane Pie

Insane Pie

Four String Samurai

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

I'm not giving credit to Burton at all. You are misreading what I am saying. All I am saying is that Burton was involved with this movie, making it one of his creations (without the funding he provided, no movie, or at least not as great of a movie, since there were two producers). I am not accrediting Burton with concept, just the fact that he DID have a part in the making of this film.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not giving Burton any credit for the films?

Chip

Chip

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not giving Burton any credit for the film?

What I said was in reply to Rellik San's

So you're ascribing someone else's artistic vision to Tim Burton, because Burton helped get it off the ground?

I am giving credit to Burton for producing the movie, but not for the movie's "artistic vision"

HisLittleSunshine<3

HisLittleSunshine<3

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

come on guys no need to argue:D she just didnt know her Burton facts and she doesnt want to be to mainstream. I tend to agree that you do have to see the originals. i didnt exactly like the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory so i didnt have too high of hopes for Burtons remake Charly and the Chocolate Factory..but to my surprise it wasnt too bad. Edward Scissorhands is and will always be a top movie for me just because its classic along with NBC. i cant go a christmas or a halloween     without watching Jack climb up the slope and take Sally's hands. and i agree that producers are just the are kinda just the cash cows of the movie making process (no offense to Burton) so movies that Tim may have produced do not count as Burton creations.. i apologize

Crispin

Crispin

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band _
  1. anything that has become trite or commonplace through overuse.

I meant cliché in regards to all things with a dark fantasy and Tim Burton related. There was a big uprising of fans and merchandise where almost every teenage girl was supposedly a fan of ES and a few girls above already said they liked the movie, it isn't my favorite so I don't really wanna become one of those girls who jump on every ray of fame that shines down on something, so yes, I meant in regards to Burton. And I'm not trying to come off of as a hipster or something. Not in the slightest. I just prefer to do my own thing.

Sorry love, but no. You're mixing up cliche in this sense too. You can't apply that word in this context, it's like 'psh, so many girls like the same film and are total fan girls, that's so cliche.' Er, no. That doesn't work

You can say some of his works are cliched, cliche usually applies to a narrative or story line of sorts. Or a specific role that's occurred and has been repeated, but not what you're saying. & thanks for the dictionary definition, I would never have figured out what the word meant without your help. Really.

Also, if you don't like the film and don't want to be on the bandwagon, which I just don't understand by the way it's like you're deliberately attempting to set yourself apart, then why mention it in the way you have? It makes you seem like you really want to set yourself apart, you sound like a teenager who wants to desperately be different. 

When I looked up films of his, James and the Giant Peach was waaaay down the line and I'd never heard of him having anything to do with it, but since the topic never really specified on whether or not he had to be a director or not, I figured JATGP would apply since he did have a bit to do with it. And I've always loved that movie, so I felt the need to have it here since he helped with it.

Well, no, because it doesn't really count. It's a project he paid for, and it's unfair to the actual director and writer of the film that they're passed off because Burton produced it. I can understand where you're coming from, but no, you're wrong. He produced it, doesn't mean he should get credit of any sort for doing anything. 

This is semantics again. You're confusing the two meanings behind the word 'create'. One has a creative input and the other isn't. If there's a sponsor for a certain beverage, you wouldn't say they helped create it would you? They just fund the project. It's ridiculous to say they should get any mention for just providing money. 

Silverion

Silverion

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Country
  • US State:California
  • Fav Band Metallica

Nightmare Before Christmas is, hands down, my favorite movie by Tim Burton. I do love most of his movies, but that one takes the cake!  ^_^

PeppermintxKiss

PeppermintxKiss

Inspired!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

I used to adore Tim Burton Movies, but recently, they've not been so great, I mean Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter? Dear Lord that film was awful on so many levels, it had no decent storyline,the characters were a shambles (and to an extent so were the actors for not doing anything about it) and it just really didn't work for me.

His re-hashes of the Batman... well they just helped loose all the sense on what a superhero/comic-hero film is all about, and that too wasn't so great. 

Sweeney Todd, despite the badly done CGI blood which really was down to the SFX team/editors and CGI team, was a compelling film,and a great musical, I must admit when I first saw it, I wasn't expecting that at all. It had shown the legendary tale in a whole new light. Along with some cheesy, catchy songs, and a Burton twist, it was overall a good film. Not amazing, but quite good and extremely watchable. Burton isn't renowned for his gore anyway, and most of his films, don't include much, if any at all. 

Nightmare before Christmas, is an amazing film, the characters, and their backstories are just so well done. It's in a way relatable to anyone who's felt tiresome of the everyday norm and sets out to find something new to do, but realising that sometimes, no matter what we do, we have to return to the Norm eventually, and can't stay different forever. Which is conformity, everyone has to do it eventually. If you look beyond the music, and sugar coated horror, you see such an indepth and emotional film. However, it is an all round great film, and you can see it differently everytime you watch it, which to me, entails a good film. 

Beetlejuice, is another amazing film, the storyline, characters, events... it's all just fantastic, add the dry humour and visuals, and you have a great film. There's so much too it, and if you haven't seen it, well you should, because it's just wonderful. It's a timeless classic that I quite happily will watch again and again. There's more to it than meets the eye, and although the storyline does have a basic sense, the way all the characters tie in, and have to face their own problems which also conflict with others, just shows how much depth the film has. 

Now, most people don't know this, but following the movie Beetlejuice, Burton and his team, then created, a TV series, which was originally aired from 1989 till 1991, now obviously, I didn't watch it on the TV because, I wasn't alive then, but as an avid Burton fan-girl, I decided to take it up and watch all 94 episodes, and I have to admit, they're quite something! Obviously, if you didn't enjoy the movie, there isn't much point, however, I'm not going to spoil it and just advise that anyone who admires his work, really should add this to their "Need to Watch" List. 

Edward Scissorhands, is without a doubt one of my all-time favourite film, there's just so much in the film, (and if you haven't realised, I love films that have depth!) and the characters, the ideas, and everything that's in this movie just work so well. The time it was set in aswell, I think helped to aid how much it really showed that being outcasted, had to happen sometimes, because people just can't accept what isn't the same or "norm" to them. In my opinion, there's just so much I could talk about this movie, but I think we all can agree how great this film is! but what I will say is you can't claim to be a fan of Tim Burton if you haven't seen this film, because this is without a doubt one of his greatest films he ever made. 

Mars Attacks!, the pure hilarity and mis-shapen humour of this film is what makes it so brilliant! I still remember the first time I watched this film, and found it so out-there that I realised this was one of those films that would never get old. I still find it as funny now as I did the first time. The characters uselessness for the most part, just add to the cheesiness of it all. There wasn't much else to it, just a good, up-lifting comedy. The aliens, and their brains though, I mean seriously, as if you couldn't tell when they were in disguise, the fact it's not as graphically renowned as the newer films, add to the magical comedy. I enjoy this film, but most don't appreciate it. 

Corpse Bride, now I do love this movie, I think it's great, much in the same style as "Nightmare before Christmas" and "Emily" who is one of the main female protagonists in this movie, does have an act of "Sally" from "NBC" however, if you look at them as two seperate films, you can see there is depth, and so many different emotional statures covered, the main story line, and then the storyline which runs alongside it, with crossovers, twists and turns at all the while just a simplistic nature, this is another good film from Burton and team. 

9, now I actually thought this was a really good film, and at times, I did find it emotionally turning. It does have a whole different light on Burton's usual works and is quite a compelling tale of survival. A tale of friendship, adventure and all other things, that are needed for them to save their race/the world. It wasn't what I expected from this film at all, and even though I've only seen it a few times, it is a film that does engage you from the beginning to the end. 

Frankenweenie, well what's not to like about this film? I do prefer the 2012 remake of his earlier movie, which was originally done in the 1980's. It's a classical tale, and just all round a good film. There's not much I could dislike about it either. 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, now I grew up watching the original, where Gene Wilder played "Willy Wonka" and I loved it, so I was a little aprehensive about the remake (After seeing Burton's verisons of Batman) and hoped, that there would be something new brought to the table. I was shocked when I first watched this film, it was so much better than I would have thought it had been, it did seem to follow more strictly to the original book by Roal Dahl, where as the original film was based loosely but had more details from the book, where as some of the factors in the Burton verison, followed a little more of the storyline, but less detailed as in the first. However, it was a good film, it wasn't a bad remake compared to some of the remakes we see these days. I do like both films and have seen both so many times. 

Alice in Wonderland, Burtons remake of this was wonderful, although, much to contrary opinion, I do believe this is more focused on the 2nd book "Alice through the looking glass" inwhich, she returns to wonderland, to save it. Where as in the original disney version of this film (because Burton's version was also disney) she is more following the events that happen in "Alice's adventures in wonderland" and was a great film. Which is why I can appreciate Burton's version as well because it isn't the same old thing just remade it's a completely different story. Now as another point, most people haven't seen the other version of alice in wonderland, which was a little more, well to the book and a little scary, because of the way it was composed. However,back to Burton's version, it was good, and I did enjoy it quite a bit more than I would have thought I would have originally. Also, unlike the original verison, it doesn't have all the musical-ness that usually follows in Disney movies. 

Dark Shadows, this was a good film, it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either, and I've only seen it twice, so I don't really have much to say for this one, but does follow Burton's now not so unique Auteur Theory.

Sleepy Hollow, this was another good film, so much depth and storyline, and as one of Burton's earlier films, was generally better. A really good take on the original legend, and then adding more to it, to make it a completely new light on the story. The characters are well done, and just each factor adds to the movie in it's own unique way. 

Planet of the Apes, (2001 version), I personally thought this was a good movie, and even though has been remade countless times, this will always be my favourite version, just because of the way it handled everything different to the other versions.

Ed Wood, I actually didn't like this movie, and thought it could have been done a lot better than it was, another one of Burton's "Not so greats" 

Now, I think I've gone on enough about his movies, and generally, don't have a favourite, I've really outlined the ones I did and didn't like and that's about it. You probably wonder how I actually know so much, well one reason is, in Media we did about Auteur Theory,and our assigined Auteur was Tim Burton. I've been watching his films since about 1998, and have always taken an interest and will give each film a try, even if the critics say it's good or bad, because I like to make my own decisions. I also just spent a lot of time researching movies and directors. xD

Rellik San

Rellik San

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts

I used to adore Tim Burton Movies, but recently, they've not been so great, I mean Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter? Dear Lord that film was awful on so many levels, it had no decent storyline,the characters were a shambles (and to an extent so were the actors for not doing anything about it) and it just really didn't work for me.

His re-hashes of the Batman... well they just helped loose all the sense on what a superhero/comic-hero film is all about, and that too wasn't so great. 

Sweeney Todd, despite the badly done CGI blood which really was down to the SFX team/editors and CGI team, was a compelling film,and a great musical, I must admit when I first saw it, I wasn't expecting that at all. It had shown the legendary tale in a whole new light. Along with some cheesy, catchy songs, and a Burton twist, it was overall a good film. Not amazing, but quite good and extremely watchable. Burton isn't renowned for his gore anyway, and most of his films, don't include much, if any at all. 

Beetlejuice, is another amazing film, the storyline, characters, events... it's all just fantastic, add the dry humour and visuals, and you have a great film. There's so much too it, and if you haven't seen it, well you should, because it's just wonderful. It's a timeless classic that I quite happily will watch again and again. There's more to it than meets the eye, and although the storyline does have a basic sense, the way all the characters tie in, and have to face their own problems which also conflict with others, just shows how much depth the film has. 

Now, most people don't know this, but following the movie Beetlejuice, Burton and his team, then created, a TV series, which was originally aired from 1989 till 1991, now obviously, I didn't watch it on the TV because, I wasn't alive then, but as an avid Burton fan-girl, I decided to take it up and watch all 94 episodes, and I have to admit, they're quite something! Obviously, if you didn't enjoy the movie, there isn't much point, however, I'm not going to spoil it and just advise that anyone who admires his work, really should add this to their "Need to Watch" List. 

9, now I actually thought this was a really good film, and at times, I did find it emotionally turning. It does have a whole different light on Burton's usual works and is quite a compelling tale of survival. A tale of friendship, adventure and all other things, that are needed for them to save their race/the world. It wasn't what I expected from this film at all, and even though I've only seen it a few times, it is a film that does engage you from the beginning to the end. 

Dark Shadows, this was a good film, it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either, and I've only seen it twice, so I don't really have much to say for this one, but does follow Burton's now not so unique Auteur Theory.

Ed Wood, I actually didn't like this movie, and thought it could have been done a lot better than it was, another one of Burton's "Not so greats" 

I feel I have to respond to all of these opinions as I don't think you've quite grasped the works in question, maybe it's an age thing (as with Beetlejuice), maybe it's not having an indepth knowledge of film making (Sweeney Todd) or maybe it's cultural misunderstanding (Dark Shadows), but I'll explain them all to you as best I can starting with Batman:

Tim Burtons Batman films a perfect example of adaptation chopping and changing what it needs too, remember when these films came out we were only just seeing the end of the "Camp Crusader" Adam West style comics and Frank Miller and Alan Moore were turning him into the more popular "Dark Knight" character, so the studio needed to rebrand the onscreen Batman with the new dark and edgy look and who better to give a twisted commentary on the Batman than the guy who wrote and directed the Alan Cummings vehicle: Pee Wee's Big Adventure? Burtons Batman films are a product of the time and the more general feel DC wanted to take the franchise in, also remember other than Richard Donners Superman films, there was no set archetype of what a Superhero movie should be back then.

Sweeney Todd; As for the blood effects and your opinions on them, whilst yes it's upto the VFX team to make those effects, the overall look and direction of them is still decided by the director and cinematographer, the VFX guys just do as they are told, so if the Blood didn't do it for you, then sorry, it is Burton to blame... that said, I get the impression they were meant to recreate the liquid watery texture of Stage Blood.

Beetlejuice: Or Rather the Animated Series of the same name, probably the reason you can't find many people who know about it, is because of your age, but when I was growing up (I'm 26 now) it was a very popular show amongst my friends and I. It's not that it's a rare show, it's just like myriad shows based on movies (i.e. The Real Ghostbusters), there isn't much market for revision when the film ceases being timely, which is why repeats are rare.

9: I'm not sure how much Burton was involved in this film, like James and the Giant Peach it's more a case of "Tim Burton presents Shane Ackers 9" than it is "Tim Burtons 9". So I wouldn't read too much of Burtons fingerprints on it.

Dark Shadows: Now assuming your location flag isn't just for show, Dark Shadows is actually based on a long running and massively popular Soap Opera from America that I don't believe ever made it to British shores, knowing this whilst watching, I can't help but feel much of the content and humour is lost without having at least a basic knowledge of the show it's based on.

Ed Wood: Simply put, have you ever seen any of Ed Woods films? This isn't really a Burton film as it is an only very mildly exaggerated Biopic of the famous (or rather infamous) Director Ed Wood, his most famous work being Plan 9 From Outer Space. I'd recommend reading up on Ed Wood and watching his films before sitting through this one again.

PeppermintxKiss

PeppermintxKiss

Inspired!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

You do have a valid point Rellik, and No, I am from the UK. So I guess that would make sense with the Dark Shadows thing, however, I don't think it was a bad film. 

As a side note, it might be because of my age, however, I did love the Real Ghostbusters as well, which I only found through the bonus features on a special edition DVD. although, you are only 7 years older than me I guess that's still a big difference. 
Also, I do know who Ed Wood is, however, my point still stands, I personally didn't like the film. 
Well on the DVD box it does say "Tim Burton's 9" so I'm not too sure about that one. 
On the batman thing, I'm Biased, I love the whole gimmick that Adam West and Burt Ward had playing them. Loved their Movie from 1966 and the TV Series, thus, Tim Burton's version Batman really didn't make the cut for me. 

Rellik San

Rellik San

• Sub Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,625 posts

You do have a valid point Rellik, and No, I am from the UK. So I guess that would make sense with the Dark Shadows thing, however, I don't think it was a bad film. 

As a side note, it might be because of my age, however, I did love the Real Ghostbusters as well, which I only found through the bonus features on a special edition DVD. although, you are only 7 years older than me I guess that's still a big difference. 
Also, I do know who Ed Wood is, however, my point still stands, I personally didn't like the film. 
Well on the DVD box it does say "Tim Burton's 9" so I'm not too sure about that one. 
On the batman thing, I'm Biased, I love the whole gimmick that Adam West and Burt Ward had playing them. Loved their Movie from 1966 and the TV Series, thus, Tim Burton's version Batman really didn't make the cut for me. 

Well it's all a matter of taste and opinion. As for the 9 thing, oddly enough I went to my copy and looked at the back for writer and director credits, you must have a different cover to mine.

I think a lot of people think "Oh only 7 years older", it's a massive leap thinking about it, I've seen mobile phones go from small scale simple to devices to things that rival the power of my laptop, I've seen the death of Ceefax and the rise of online information, I used to think that downloading an MP3 on a 512k connection was literally the most awesome thing ever. :) 7 years is a long time all things considered.

PeppermintxKiss

PeppermintxKiss

Inspired!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

That may possibly be the case. Or I may be wrong. I did check his IMDB and it is accredited to him, where as James and Giant Peach isn't so I'm not too sure. 

I know what you mean, however, I have seen a lot of that in a way as well, we had small simple things when I was younger, and then when iPhone's and the such were mainstreamed too. I do remember Ceefax, and the Digital switchover. We had a internet connection where you couldn't be on the internet if someone wanted to use the phone. xD Wifi was great. However, I am going to stop because I feel we're getting off topic and hijacking a thread. xD 

SamsHorrorStory218

SamsHorrorStory218

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Florida
  • Fav Band Radiohead
  • Fav Song Lydia: All I see

My favorites would have to include Beetle juice, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow. Alice in Wonderland,  9, Big Fish. I haven't seen any of his other movies yet but I'll be sure to check them out one day. His movies are amazing and I love the feel of them! :Pumpkin:

Xxxem0suicidexxX

Xxxem0suicidexxX

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Edward scissorhands!

xXkillme1024Xx

xXkillme1024Xx

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Oh My gosh! Totally Coraline! I love the garden scene! I have loved Tim Burton since I was like 4!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users