Welcome to Emo Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Black Hair With Highlights? Opinions/advice?

- - - - - hair black highlights opinions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

CrypticXFeathers

CrypticXFeathers

Tortured Rose

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Go Away

I've been thinking about doing something like this (a haircut like this):

Cool%25252BEmo%25252BBoys%25252BHairstyl

with red (or preferrably blue) highlights (not purple) on the fringes like this (but on dark/black hair, not blonde):

blonde-emo-girl-hairstyles.jpg

now what I'm asking about it....

first, what are your opinions on that kind of look?

second, I need advice --> I have naturally brown hair.... like medium to dark brown... I hear that dying your hair black makes it look weird or different than if you're naturally born with black hair.... what do you think about that? would it look strange if I had my hair dyed black (and adding the bleached/colored part later) or should I just get the darkest brown color possible?

I'm also totally impatient, cuz I have to (and want to) grow my fringe out to about my mouth or chin so I can swoop it to the side like in the 2nd photo... but whatever.

my hair naturally bends; its wavy but not super curly. I have a straightener, and have used it before to straighten. is it normal that it takes me quite a while to get my hair completely straight? even after a few days my hair will tend to bend again...do I have to straighten every day to keep it from bending or what?

thx for any suggestions/advice, even opinions on this matter~

Chip

Chip

Potato Chips Are Friends, Not Food

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Virginia
  • Fav Band .

I kinda grew outta that phase a year or two ago, and I'd have to see your face to REALLY decide if I approve, but it's your hair, do whatever the hell you want.

My sister has naturally brown hair, and she wanted black hair like you, but she chose the darkest brown available. Here's why: many of the black dyes can give your hair a greasy look and some even make your hair look blueish. The darkest brown, combined with your natural hair, will give you the look you desire with out all the unwanted looks.

My hair goes wavy the next day, you are lucky to have curly hair that kinda stays in the shape you want :P Don't worry.

M4dR1L3y

M4dR1L3y

unknown Calamity

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Oklahoma
  • Fav Band Right Place Right Time
  • Fav Song The Dairy by Hollywood Undead
I had blue streaks in my hair, and it looked really good with my naturally dark hair. I recommend that for your fringe. I like the hair cut, I'm actually wanting to so something similar but with blonde because my school won't let me do other unnatural colors. And Chip is right, the hair cut will look funny if you don't have the right kind of face. :)

CrypticXFeathers

CrypticXFeathers

Tortured Rose

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Go Away

oh. pardon my shyness and wanting to be discreet on the internet, but I'd prefer avoiding posting images of myself online... I wish I could at times, but don't want to risk anything, if at all... I tend to be sort of mysterious (used a pic of one of my characters instead as my avatar).

but maybe I could try to describe my face?

I guess I have a roundish face, my eyes are like not too close together, but not really far apart (blue eyes, btw)... my nose is probably roundish, not pointy. just kinda "normal" (lol whatever the heck that means). and I guess my lips are like not too full, not too thick... idk. kinda thick dark eyebrows that kinda have a point to them in the middle at the top...

I hope this was good enough info to imagine the hairstyle on me... I'll probably consider going with just the darkest brown possible and adding pretty vivid blue tips of the fringe...

M4dR1L3y

M4dR1L3y

unknown Calamity

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Country
This type o haircut looks better with rounder faces, so I guess you'll be pretty good. And blue is awesome. Good luck, I hope it comes out good.

CrypticXFeathers

CrypticXFeathers

Tortured Rose

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Go Away

This type o haircut looks better with rounder faces, so I guess you'll be pretty good. And blue is awesome. Good luck, I hope it comes out good.

thx~ I appreciate your help (and Chip's help) about this. I'll probably wait until my hair grows out more until coloring it, but at least I have a goal to look forward to now! yay blue is mah fave color~ XD

M4dR1L3y

M4dR1L3y

unknown Calamity

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Country
You're welcome ^_^ I'm glad to of been of service. If you need help or advice just ask.

CrypticXFeathers

CrypticXFeathers

Tortured Rose

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Go Away

will do, MadRiley~ :D I will often check on google images of emo pics for reference, whenever I feel like I'm not sure if I'm following the look or not... but I just gotta keep in mind how they look and hopefully will get used to it.

M4dR1L3y

M4dR1L3y

unknown Calamity

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Country
Lol, I have my own look. My mom hates how my hair is in my face all the time, and it's long right now. This time last year it was cut extremely short and I spiked it :) I'm thinkin about cutting it because with it so long it gets hot. I have thick hair and it hurts when I put my hair in a ponytail. But, if I do cut it, it will be similar to the picture you posted on here :D and you can call me Madi

CrypticXFeathers

CrypticXFeathers

Tortured Rose

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Go Away

oh yeah makes sense, cuz its summer, to get shorter hair. that would be nice~ yeah having thick hair is not always fun... (makes it a bit more challenging to straighten for sure!)

ok, Madi (hope I can remember that... lol I'm not great at remembering names. :-\)...

Navou

Navou

Spiraling Tempest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

The scene look is dying out and if anything is being blended with other fashion styles such as indie and hipster so I would be careful.

susanlee

susanlee

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Kentucky
  • Fav Band nothing specific

My suggestion will go for black hair and pink or purple highlights. Choose light shades for color.

Remy hair

CrypticXFeathers

CrypticXFeathers

Tortured Rose

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Country
  • Fav Band Go Away

I had my hair stripped of color a couple of times and the highlights looked strawberry blonde~ it was cool but idk how they look with dark brown hair (I had them colored immediately after I saw the stripped color in my hair).

the last time I had my highlights colored, I tried a royal blue and a lightish/aqua blue, gradiented like from dark to light blue (from roots to ends of fringe) and unfortunately the light/aqua blue didn't show so well, and after a few washes it completely seemed to have faded faster than the blue... :(

idk what was wrong with the lighter color there, but I might just try dark blue to a green color next time~ (or maybe another color with blue? any suggestions or opinions on that thought?)

SamsHorrorStory218

SamsHorrorStory218

Delicate Snowflake

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Country
  • US State:Florida
  • Fav Band Radiohead
  • Fav Song Lydia: All I see

Do what you wish to do; it's your hair afterall. I myself always wanted that hairstyle but I kinda decided to grow it out and decided to do something different. Try looking at different hairstyles until you find one that suits you. Be creative! But if that's the hairstyle you want, than go all for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hair, black, highlights, opinions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users